cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Processing an urge

I was fixing lunch and had a really strong urge to smoke. I did not smoke, but wowsers, can those suckers (urges) be strong! What set me off is my question to myself. Bravo for resisting is the message to myself. Every urge resisted is one less urge to face and I'm that much stronger against the next one. 

Back to what set me off? I'm not sure. I typically do not smoke after meals, but I'm remembering that I sometimes would put dinner on to cook and step outside and smoke. Maybe that's it, even though this was just lunch for myself. 

The lesson for me to learn is to never let my guard down and think that I'm truly past all of the addictive junk. I must always be aware of the sneaky voice of the nicodemon.

On another note, I did take my walk today and my sister came out on her deck and smoked. I was distracted by the smell, even though it's upstairs and I'm walking on the ground. I noticed last night that I can smell it inside sometimes when she smokes outside. I am not going to tell her or ask her not to smoke on her own deck; she lives here with us and that's her space. As I was walking, I told myself I need to associate that smell with something like vomit or something that would make me want to vomit and to not be tempted, that it's not a good smell. 

Okay, that's my brain drain for now. 

Still strong on day 5. 

17 Replies
elvan

We went to the beach on a family vacation and I would go for walks by myself, always carrying a small backpack which I said was to collect any shells I found.  In reality, it held my cigarettes and my lighter, a little bottle of mouthwash as well as a washcloth soaked in baby shampoo and water (something "gentle").  I would wash my hands and face and go back to the condo after I had one or two cigarettes...all the time I was on the beach, I was watching for anyone I knew to catch me.  I was quite tanned from being at the beach but by the end of that week of scrubbing my face over and over again, I looked like Fred Flintstone with an ODD five o'clock shadow made up of a rash from the wind and water.  No one said a word.  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

OMG.  I never went to such lengths.  

0 Kudos
elvan

It was NOT a good look Barbscloud‌, I do NOT recommend it for anyone.

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I totally get it. I keep hand wipes in my car. You know why. LOL 

@elvan, I'm so glad we're not doing these things anymore. 

0 Kudos
elvan

ME TOO!

0 Kudos
mama3953

• Wow I was reading your blog and laughing at your scenarios for smoking....I do that then I become so angry with myself that I am thinking that way!  But you seem to be doing pretty good stomping out the urges good for you!  Have a great evening!
Barbscloud

LOL.  I also enjoyed your elaborate plans to smoke.  Those cravings just pop up sometimes for no apparent reason.  But you didn't smoke and you're doing great.  Our sense of smell is enhanced when we quit smoking.  A car drove by my house yesterday and I could smell it.  It really doesn't bother me though.  A burning cigarette still smells good to me.

137 DOF

that's exactly what it was.  Those thoughts pop up out of nowhere every once in a while and you did beautifully.  I too always smoked when I cooked dinner.  that one was a tough one to get over for me also.  

0 Kudos