cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Freedomcat

Preparing to quit...suggestions?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and in the process of preparing for a quit date of December 27th....14 days away. Last January I gave myself a year to get ready, to learn about my triggers and why I smoke. But...most of the year I just smoked with my head in the sand as usual. I did learn some things

But I gave myself a year and told myself that that would be it. My partner and I want to have a baby next year and if I keep smoking I will never have a family. 

I have never had a plan before when I tried to quit. I always did it completely on my own. Sounds silly now. 

So I need your help in creating a quit plan. 

Might you share with me some of your knowledge and wisdom from your experience? I'm looking for what worked for you, not cold hard advice. But ideas that I can work with.

Thank you! (Feeling excited and terrified)

13 Replies
Giulia

So - are you ready to do this thing in three days?????  Hope so.  We've got your back.

Freedomcat

Thank you! I've moved my quit day to December 28th...and feeling a little excited and scared. 

Giulia

Focus more on the excitement and less on the fear.  Take it more of a challenge in your mind, than as a huge awful scary mountain.  Have you never experienced some discomfort in your life before?  Sure you have.  It passes.  You just have to hang in and take it one day at a time.  Just think in terms of getting through tomorrow.   Just tomorrow.  Once you have just one day under your belt you'll see that it's all possible.  Chin up, have heart!  You're not alone.

elvan

Education, support, and commitment are your best friends in quitting.  You have gotten stellar advice already, if you read what YoungAtHeart‌ recommended, you will find that this journey really is nothing to be afraid of...be sure to look at it as a journey and also be sure to BELIEVE that it will get easier with every smoke free minute you put behind you.  You set your quit date a year ago...that's a very long time.  Read everything you can about this addiction and prepare to meet the REAL you.  Seriously, as smokers, we stuff all of our feelings and when we quit, we find out that we really missed out on so much.  Think of all of the stolen moments sneaking off to have a cigarette...you want to be completely present for this planned baby, starting now is a great idea.  

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos