cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Please help with answers?

I've coughed nonstop,

runny, stuffy, irritated nose, sore throat from coughing and runny eyes. So much so, can't wear make up, having trouble keeping up with daily tasks.....feverish at times, headaches and sleep issues. Is this all normal after quitting cold turkey, 5 months ago??

0 Kudos
21 Replies

How/where do I look for answers or others reading this? Am I alone here on this Ex site??

0 Kudos
bonniebee

You are not alone !

i don't believe it has anything to do with quitting smoking.

so did this start 5 months ago or has it been a couple weeks? My answer was based on a couple of weeks.

5 months of feeling this way is certainly not normal or necessarily quit related.

Hello:))

I just posted. It was in the form of a question.....I'm still trying to find my way around this site. Attempts to reply to folks who responded to my initial post....well, I posted a lengthy 'question' which I now feel should have been posted otherwise-such as simply a comment or something.  lol....or if there is a place I can go such a discussion forum or the like? If you don't mind, and if you happen to see my post....it's titled 'Intro:)', would you kindly let me know? I'm wondering if I'm simply writing to cyberspace bc I don't see anything other than a place to respond to comments or questions posted after my joining last night. I'm on the west coast....seems many here are east coast=sleeping when I wrote last night. But posted a bit of a lengthy Q today. 

Thanks much, and be well!! 

Sandra (Sandy)

Giulia

No, you are definitely not alone here.  (But it IS after midnight East Coast Time and there are fewer active members at this hour.)  I've never heard of anyone having quit symptoms after 5 months as you've described.  Could be attributable to any number of sources:  allergies, would be one my guesses.  My suggestion would be to have a doctor examine you.  Go to a clinic if you don't have a regular doc.  Five months is a long time to suffer with those symptoms and it's not what I would consider "normal" five months after quitting, cold turkey.  In the beginning, a couple of weeks - maybe.  But 5 months - no.  And especially the fever part - that's not normal at any stage - in my experience.  Definitely would be wise to have it checked out.  

For more answers you might type 'quitting symptoms' in the community search box (upper right magnifying glass).  Congratulations on hanging in with your quit for all this time feeling that awful.  That shows a great deal of dedication and commitment.  Don't let go of it!

0 Kudos

I would make an appointment with my doctor to rule out the flu or an allergy of some kind

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Funny you should mention this .....I quit smoking in Feb 2015 and in May of that year I came down with a horrible cold and cough I had been on vaca with my daughter and son-in- law they did not get it . I found it very frustrating but since then I have only had 2 other colds one of which I am just getting over ....funny I got this one just before vacation ...possibly stress  related ? Anyway , I think colds are more to do with our immune systems and are also a part of being human . This cold is  much milder and  more in my nose then in my chest, smoking made the cough so much worse and it would go on and on !

Give your body time to heal from all that smoking colds will get easier to bear and eat healthy to improve  your resistance  !

Bonnie 

elvan

Oh my, no, you are definitely not alone but, I, for one, would have been sleeping when you posted this.  I absolutely do not believe that your symptoms are related to your quit.  I think you should see a doctor and get evaluated for allergies or some sort of auto immune issue that just happened to coincide with your quit.  Cigarettes did NOT keep these symptoms away, smoking did not do anything FOR you.  I have heard of a lot of different issues after quitting, some I think are a result of being more aware of our bodies, others are simply life moving on.  I have terrible allergies and this year has been my worst ever, I quit over three years ago.  I am sure it is not smoking related.

DO stick around and tell us about yourself, quitting is a lot easier when you are not alone and when you are educated about what smoking has already done to you.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen