cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nmgp20

Please help me!

Today I am having very intense anxiety and panic attacks and cannot break free from the negative thinking.  I want to go out and buy some cigarettes.  Has anybody dealt with panic attacks while trying to quit and, if yes, how did you make it through?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbscloud

@Nmgp20  Are you OK?  Just saw this now.  I hope you didn't smoke.  There are quitters that had panic attacks prior to quitting.  I had one many years ago and one after I quit.  So I'm no expert on the subject, but do understand how frightening it is.   If you do a search on the front page for Panic Attacks there are a number of posts.  Hopefully one of them may help you.

Are you being treated for panic attacks?   If so, quitting may trigger them.  Do you have a medical person to consult with?

Update please.

Barb

MarilynH

How are you doing this evening @Nmgp20 ?

0 Kudos
Nmgp20

Hi to both of you, Barb and Marilyn for your concern and kindness.  I hadn't written much because I am still having a very difficult time navigating this site.  It doesn't come naturally to me and I end up getting very frustrated and it adds to my anxiety.  However, I have managed to stay smoke-free! In my mind, the strongest of tests for smoking would have been the intense anxiety I was feeling last week.   And to know that I have so far made it through the worse of the worse makes me feel proud beyond belief.  My anxiety is much better and I am under the  care of a doctor.  Thank you for your caring words and presence.  It really does make a difference.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Nmgp20 I'm so glad you responded.  You navigated the site just fine with your response.  Quitting can be more difficult for some than others.   I am so proud of you for moving forward even with such terrible anxiety and it's reassuring knowing you have medical care on your side.

Please reach out anytime we can support you and I'm sending  caring thoughts your way.

Congrats on your success.

Barb

0 Kudos
Braided

Hi @Nmgp20 .  The site can be difficult at first. I ended up just wandering around and each time found great Information and ideas and support from people.  You might want to check out the games: they’re a great way to stay connected with no pressure.  If you haven’t found the pledge page, that’s where we support each other in our pledge to not smoke that day. The EXers have been an incredible support for me and I hope you will find the same.  Best wishes today.  The first few days are the hardest.  It DOES get better!

0 Kudos