cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Troutnut1

Please accept my apologies...A Troutnut1 update

On November 11th 2019 a CT scan looking for lung cancer showed I had “severe emphysema”. My lazy doctor just had his nurse call me with this great news while I was out of state visiting my 86 year old mother. I’m afraid I reacted rather badly to this news. Although I am a very fit 66 year old, I immediately imagined myself with breathing troubles and had visions of death within months. The stress of this caused me to develop severe GERD, caused severe sleep disturbances, the loss of about 8 pounds from no appetite, and debilitating depression. This all affected Mrs. Troutnut too and I’m afraid my depression and anxiety was kind of contagious. A post made here on November 23 was pretty grim as well. For a couple on months I sat around waiting to die. I reluctantly kept my January appointment with a pulmonologist for a Pulmonary Function Test. He rated my emphysema as “moderate” or Stage 2 out of 4 stages. This seemed better than the “severe” that the CT scan had showed. But It still caused a lot of bad dreams and my imagination to run wild. My Nurse practitioner was the first to reassure me. She said she has practiced 17 years and she assured me I wouldn’t be checking out anytime soon. Then I set the track record in the 6 minute walk test at the hospital by going 600 meters (about .4 miles) with no dip in my oxygen level. Then I started researching and talking with friends that have COPD at my stage and higher, and they expect long and happy lives. Then I returned to my downhill skiing and I am happy to report I can ski longer and better than I ever did when I was young. I still work out with my weight trainer twice a week and she has noticed no change in my performance. I found a great youtube elder named derek cummings that educated me a lot about copd and what to expect. What a blessing he is. He has lived happily with COPD for over thirty years now. My research now indicates than many people with COPD live happy lives for decades and die with COPD instead of from it. I want to be one of those happy people. 

Yes. I smoked to long and too much and I should have quit sooner. But the great news is I did quit. And I haven’t had to have a sickarette in almost 19 years (2/28/2001). And I expect to live a long time yet. I’m not going anywhere for a long time. I sincerely apologize to my dear mother, Mrs. Troutnut, and to ALL of you for my November pity party. I still don’t like having COPD. But a lot of people have been dealt a lot worse hands than I have been dealt. I should have been overjoyed to not have lung cancer or worse. I have replaced my worry with gratitude and I am feeling SO much better. Thank you all for being on this journey with me. If you haven’t yet quit, please do so. If you have, please stay quit. 

Your friend in Montana

Troutnut1-dennis

23 Replies
Troutnut1

3140BC8A-BD83-4D38-A4B9-EB14732FE3F3.jpeg

Mandolinrain

Okay now I am jealous  Many congrats on your 19 year quit and your beautiful soul to share with us

quiet-jo

Troutnut1

they say outta site, outta mind.... well it just ain’t so.  I have wondered how you are doing since you wrote about your COPD Dx.  Sounds like you got a grip on the situation, praise the Lord!!  And I see you have returned to the slopes .  So happy you have decided to embrace your life. Your commitment to your quit (s) continues to inspire me and others. Be well Dennis. Many blessings to you and Mrs Troutnut and Your mother

with gratitude,  quiet jo 

Christine13

So glad that you understand your COPD better now!  Congratulations on 19 years quit, and here's to another 19.

Barbscloud

This is a wonderful post and certainly not something to apologize for.  You were reacting to the fear you felt at the time.  That's a human reaction to the news you received.  I'm  happy for you that you were able to turn this around physically, but more importantly with a positive attitude.  Congrats on 19 years!

Barb

Gai.C

Yay Glad U are At ease now Troutnut1‌. Congratulations on 19 years of FREEDOM and Sobriety.  Thank you for your Post if U Help 1 person  the You've Won. 

abbynormal42

If you can't have your pity parties on a support site, where can you have them? Sometimes we need to vent our fears and frustrations. You don't have to apologize for that. I'm just glad to hear things are looking brighter for you now! I love to hear happy Troutnut updates. 

Sootie

WOW! Beautiful picture. So happy you have managed to get your bearings and know that life is far from over. NINETEEN YEARS QUIT? YAY for you!!!

JACKIE1-25-15

Great beginning to a new story. 

SuzyQ411

Have missed your posts Troutnut1‌ and am so happy to hear from you and to have the chance to congratulate you on your fantastic quit, hear of your new outlook on life and darn, I never leaned to ski! Looking forward to more of your posts 🙂