cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

Phantom Cigarette

I am 3 days into my quit.  This morning, on my way to work, I hit traffic (as I always do) and reached next to me into the console of my car for a cigarette.  Good thing there wasn't one there!  What struck me as odd is I wasn't even craving one at the time.  I reached out of habit!  I hit traffic in the morning and always lit up.  It gave me something to do while sitting in the car...instead, I chuckled and was very grateful I didn't have any cigarettes near me.  It made me realize just how precious this new freedom is and how one needs to treat it with kid gloves.

Has anyone else ever reached for a phantom cigarette?  How did you handle it?

Rollercoaster Quit Day 6/21/2017 -  2 DOF

12 Replies
Diannnnn

Ooo, Lemon Ice Beakers...they sound good. Have to see if that is another addition to my quit kit. Thanks!

Dian

0 Kudos

I reached for the phantom pack up until I hit day 120 or so.  then used to see phantom smoke or even smell it out of the clear blue.  I think once I learned to just smile when that happened or even simply shake my head and let go of the stranglehold I had on cigarettes, it all fell into place.  I've learned to train myself to grab for other things, a mint, gum, hard candy.  it too will become second nature as smoking had in your past

bonniebee

I had it happen frequently in the early days of my quit and ususlly it happened when i was on the telephone having a friendly conversation  with one of my sisters I would suddenly find myself walking and looking all over the place for "something " and then suddenly realized I was looking for a cigarette !  I handled it as you did a chuckle to myself !

In the car I always brought a straw  ( cut to a small size of coarse ) to hold and to "smoke "  or else I would have been looking there too !

Congrats on your 3 days of freedom I always have thought the first 3 days were the most difficult keep it going and keep your sense of humor Laugh at the craves Ole Nic wants to give you you are stronger then "him" !sayings quit smoking 2.jpgsayings welcome purple rose.gif