cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BoomBoomPants

Panicking when quitting becomes reality

Jump to solution

How to I get myself to WANT to quit, when the time comes (date set for 11 days from now)?

I have the desire to quit, I have all my nicotine replacement items, I have searched high and low for tools, physical and psychological, and I feel like I have an arsenal and should feel prepared. But when that “moment” to quit comes, it’s like I panic. I feel like I’m falling off a cliff, and I can’t even get past 10 minutes without giving into it. It’s like a compulsion.  When there’s no way I could be feeling physical withdrawal already, I feel like I’m losing my mind and the only way to ground myself is to smoke/give up/whatever. I see the tools that I have to help me, and it makes me feel worse. Like I’m trapped and I have to escape. I really don’t know how to else to describe the sensation. 

I’ve quit several times before, each for at least a few months, but always end up back at it. So I’ve done this before, but this is the first time I’ve had this feeling trying to quit. Again, I’m very motivated, until literally that first moment of quitting, when it becomes a reality. I’m physically terrified of not having cigarettes and that makes no logical sense, but there it is. 

I have an appointment to get Zyban in about a week. But I’d appreciate any input that could help me get over this first “hump”. I want to WANT to quit. 

Tags (1)
15 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.  Just want to mention you should start the Zyban (used Welbutrin which is the same)   before you quit.  I overcame the fear of quitting this time by not looking at it as forever.  It is a choice, and if I chose to smoke again tomorrow, I could.  One day at a time.  Definitely stay close to the site.  The support here has made all the difference for me this time.  

Barb

maryfreecig

How do you obey your desire to quit rather than allow the addiction to go on? You're the one wanting to quit, right? Start there. Because you want to quit, spend more time understanding that that is your will even if it is going to be hard to say no, or ignore craves at first. It's doable and , in my opinion, when you accept that you can quit and that you can recover one day at a time.

Every quitter gets to a point when they realize that they just don't need cigarettes or want them, but to start, it's often about saying no to nervousness, craves, angst--it doesn't last.

Yes you can.

Giulia

If I may add to the conversation here....  I didn't WANT to quit.  (Do any of us really Want to quit?  Our addiction certainly yells loudly NO!) I would much rather have continued smoking for the rest of my life.  But I knew that the rest might not be as long and as pleasant if I contracted some smoking related illness.   The quitting process isn't pleasant either.  It stinks.  But at least we do get over it.  Eventually.  You don't get over COPD.

The more you build up the unpleasantness of what lies ahead, the more what lies ahead will act accordingly in your brain.  One of the great benefits of quitting is that we learn WE are in control of how we think about things.  What you think really does manifest itself in your reality.  So if you imagine a mountain, you'll get one, but if you imagine a knoll, you'll get that too.  

We're all motivated THE NIGHT BEFORE.  It's amazing how motivated we are until the dawn's early light and the first craving hits.  Then we go from tiger to worm.  How many times, especially after a few drinks, have I said 'TOMORROW'S THE DAY!"  What a joke.  

Where support helps, is that it shows you the thinking mistakes you make and teaches you how to correct them.  

I wanted to want to quit too.  Never happened.  But my quit did happen, nonetheless, because I committed my all in all to it.  In my opinion you don't have to want to quit, you only have to commit to the decision and agree to the consequences - whatever they may be.  For as long as they may be.  The consequences of smoking are not nearly as tough to deal with as the consequences of quitting.

When you get to know this addiction better, you absolutely understand why you're terrified of not having a cigarette.  It's called an addiction for reason.  And, yes, it makes no sense logically, but physiologically it does when you understand nicotine and it's affects on our brain receptors.

Welcome to the new smoke-free YOU!  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

PrimeNumberJD

It sounds like you already WANT it, Nike swoosh, just do it! 

You don't have to want to quit.

You do have to decide to quit.

A friend asked me to quit to influence his brother.

I didn't want to quit but I figure out how to do it

without any stress or anticipation.

indingrl

Thanks for sharing - You will be ok - no worries -  WE all have been where your at - that jumping off place - the FEAR of the unknown and the comfortablness of USING DRUG NICOTINE- old habit and old feeling victim thinking  - YOUR not alone  - on YOUR quit day - you will do GOOD - you have all your tools and education and experience from past experiences- you have knowledge and wisdom of YOUR NICOTINE addiction - YOUR PERSONAL USING habits and patterns before and after and in between - USING YOUR DRUG NICOTINE -  to cope with YOUR insides in handling YOUR OWN  life on life's terms - please take what HELPS - and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you -  gentle hug❤