cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

drifter

Out of the Ashes Book

"Smokers do not become non-smokers, they become ex-smokers. The distinction is crucial. Non-smokers are people who do not want to smoke. They have never smoked, and have no interest in it whatsoever. ex-smokers on the other hand, do want to smoke. It's just that they want to stop smoking even more. I will never be a non-smoker. I will always have cravings, at least once in a while. But if I understand that these occasional feelings are the only alternative to smoking, I can treat them as a small price to pay for the freedom, better health and peace of mind that I get from not smoking.

A desire to smoke is not a command which must be followed. Just because I want to smoke, that doesn't mean I have to smoke. My craving is a feeling like any other. I can act on it, or choose not to. There is no such thing as an overwhelming desire to smoke."

GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO STOP SMOKING:

I, (your name), hereby give myself permission to Stop Smoking and to be 100 percent healthy. I deserve, create, and have health and happiness in my life. I believe in myself and my ability to quit smoking right here, right now. I do my affirmations regularly. I take responsibility for health and body. I find and employ ways to improve my health daily. I enjoy relaxing, meditating, and exercising. I love myself unconditionally. I accept and approve of myself. I allow myself to be me. I am whole, perfect, strong, powerful, loving, harmonious, and happy, to the good of all parties concerned.

I AFFIRM:
My health is improving daily. The desire to smoke becomes less and less every day, until it completely leaves my body. I enjoy being a non-smoker. I enjoy a smoke-free environment. My body and mind now totally accept this affirmation as a statement of truth. I am peaceful. Every cell, nerve, tissue, and muscle of my lungs and my whole body is now healing and becoming 100 percent healthy. I enjoy being and now am smoke-free. I believe in myself and my ability to be smoke-free. I easily refuse cigarettes or any form of tobacco, to the good of all parties concerned.

Tags (1)
26 Replies
jeanspeace

wonderful material .  . thank you . . . . . have just begun WD's latest work, "Excuses Begone" . . . . . . he has much to offer. 

0 Kudos
phebs1

The posts here have helped me. I've been in a huge state of anxiety over my quit date (Jan 1st) rapidly approaching. The fears have been tearing around my brain like crazy and reading your posts have helped me find the strength within to tap into. Thank you. I just joined this group and hope to have things to say that will encourage others...but for now I'm just hanging by by fingernails.

0 Kudos
pam-p

I just found this site tonight.  I've set my stop smoking date for January 9th.  I'm going to try the Commit lozenge as an assist.  I would like to join this group as I find the blogs to be so mellow and reassuring.  If I am going to succeed, I will need alot of help.  I have been smoking for 40 years.  I've tried to quit before, but always relapsed.  I am a recovering alcoholic going on 11 years of sobriety and know that I have an addictive personality, which won't make it any easier to quite smoking.  I often have what I call "nick fits" when I try to go too long without a cig, but find that if I stay busy and/or focused on something interesting that I foget about smoking for hours at a time.  I'm assuming that "Out of the Ashes" is a book, and would be interested in reading it if someone could give me the authors name.  I use a daily meditation book called The Promise of a New Day as a means of uplifting my spirits.  It's a Hazeldon series book, if anyone is interested in checking it out.

I am so glad I found this site.  I will be tracking my cigs each day until the 9th, and will strive to become an Ex-smoker like so many of you.  Please, wish me luck.

PamP

0 Kudos
jules13

I have smoked for 32 years and hate it (but also love it).  Smoking is my friend when I am stressed or drinking, I smoke like crazy when with other smokers and when drinking so will give that up for the first month.  I have a january 3 quit date and am afraid of failure again.   I do like the positive belief system and have bought the book no more excuses.  I too agree that deep breathing and getting busy doing something is important,  especially if it is positive such as exercise for five minutes, read inspirational material, and meditate.  These three things are going to be my helpers.   thanks for listening ..  ..

0 Kudos
pam-p

Another day smoking several cigs.  I recorded them all, even the ones my best friend bummed because he's trying to quit and didn't want to buy an entire pack.  It really did make me feel like I was enabling him in his failure, but I vow that I'll stick to what this sight suggests and will go to the nearest store that sells single sticks, because throwing away an entire pack of cigarettes when they cost $7.00 isn't likely to happen.  I'm too dang frugal.  I haven't purchased Out of the Ashes yet but intend to soon.  It sounds like another uplifting book that offers food for thought.  The Promise of a New Day gives me a page for each date of the year, which offers positive quotes, statements, and food for thought that has, quite often, fit for that particular day, especially if read in the evening, rather than the beginning of the day.  It's alot like throwing the I Ching for daily direction.  It just works out that way.  I've introduced it to several people, all of whom have fallen in love and purchased it.  I suffer from depression, due to a couple of diseases, so I am always looking for more sources of positive, uplifting thoughts. 

Tomorrow I wil get up and try to change my morning routine and have only 1 cig with my coffee, disallow one of my after-a-meal cigs, and continue to prepare for my quit date.  I hope I haven't betrayed your spiritual intentions by mentioning my daily book.  Thanks for reading this and, hopefully, understanding.

Pam P

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Thanks for starting this group Drifter, we all need some spiritually to help with our changes.  Knowledge is power and combined with spirituality makes a perfect winning combination!  I don't go out very often, but had to go to a funeral on Sunday and ran into friends who still smoked and I got the "weird look" and when I told them I planned on quitting drinking also, actually said "WHY?"    I said because I have lost control when drinking and I'm not going to let it take over my life like cigarettes have.   I have just started the book "How to Quit Drinking" and it is very powerful and dismisses so much BS that we have heard over the years and actually makes you feel more intelligent just by reading it.  Allen Carr is amazing...and his books on addiction and quitting are awesome.  I always knew I had an addictive personality, but now I know why and how and that 90% of the population does too.  It does make you realize that we are all brothers and sisters in this world and sites like this are great because we are all helping each other out....the way it should be!!

0 Kudos
maria2

Drifter, this is a very helpful forum.  Thank you for starting it.  I am a "quitter" so far 60 days and it is becoming easier to stay away from smoking every day.  The" bucket list" is a very helpful tool because as you accomplish some of the items on your list, it gives you the confidence, resolution and impetus to tackle the next item on that list.  For example if I persevere in staying away from the smoking, I have accomplished four things on my list so far:  learning to kayak, learning bridge, not smoking  and  streamlining my business.  So I wish you and everyone out there the best in your attempt to quit and make your own list! 

0 Kudos
neroves1

Hey all!  I'm not sure about setting another date.  My first try was with Chantix.  It worked for me.  Nine months of free, a time i have never experainced before.   I am not of the mechanics as to why i started again, but I know its possible to do over again...soon!  The first that comes to mind is how isolated i put myself.  Alone but not lonely.  It was as if my nine months had been so fragile that to get with others would have jepordized my clean time.  i'm disapointted,  but hopeful to change that aspect, lonlyness, with others.  I had/have alot of faith/God in me that believes that I will overcome the depression/fear/lonelyness.  I don't once ever remember being "ok" with smoking.  I've been so hard on myself in life.  

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Hey Key, Isolation is a guarantee for depression - get out there and be with people - smokers and non, but not after you quit again for a month or so.  Keep on this website too - we are all friends here and understand what each other is going through.  We will be here for you no matter what and we will not judge you or anyone - keep positive thoughts and make a date to quit - hey, why not today????

0 Kudos
gail3

I love a group on mindfullness. It's why I call myself a Buddhist - to work on mindfullness.

I know about being hard on yourself. And sometimes, many time, I wish I could be as mindLESS as my boyfriend, who quit in a week on Chantix and Jolly Ranchers. He doesn't think about any of it. To alleviate the berating I give myself about not fully quitting yet, I believe that working on quitting is still the good journey that hopefully will lead to a quit. I've combined the weaning methods with Chantix - and worked on the mental "buttons" and this has gotten me further than any other effort.

My boyfriend and I play computer games very differently also. His way is to bludgeon his way through. Mine is to pick my way carefully - hoping that I won't stumble or fall off the track. I think if I pay attention to the behavioral things that I won't restart the habit after it's done. That's the theory. Good luck, all.

0 Kudos