cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cindy6

October Quitters

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am feeling MUCH better about my quit. I was beginning to think the Chantix was causing major depression but it was really just the nicotine withdraws. I didn't expect it to last 20 days because I don't remember it lasting that long the last time I quit. I'm sure everyone is different but man oh man am I glad to be through that!
Tags (1)
422 Replies
tfritz

Sejeijc, I wanted to smoke today too, but it passes. Get a tootsie pop or a straw. Maybe a long term relationship is too difficult with smoking in the picture.... too much time, thoughts, and energy goes into the smokes. That's what I started to think and I really do want to get back into a relationship. Stay true to what you really want-which is to QUIT!!! 🙂
0 Kudos
samar

sejeijc, don't give up.. I live alone ... I never had long term relationships either... i don't have a boy friend... But guess what, I will not have the cigarettes be my boyfriend or long term relationship.... I know I deserve much better... It is about 10 now on the east coast... Try to go to sleep... That will take you over to the next day.. the cravings will decrease day by day... I was weakening today but I pulled it together and never went to buy a pack... This is day 4 for me I can't wait till I stop those cravings... And what makes matters worse for me now... is that I can't work.. I don't have a job... so I am at home all the time without anything to do... so I think that makes me more prone to failure... but NO I will not allow cigarettes to defeat me.... Please hang in there don't let that nasty habit defeat you... you are strong and you know it... keep it up...we are all here for you 🙂
0 Kudos
susanj

OK _ thank you Samar and tfritz. I know I am being selfish and feeling sorry for myself, but your comments have lifted me up. I'm going to bed now. Sleep takes away the lonliness and is an escape. Hey, whatever it takes. Tomorrow will be a better day for all of us - that is my plan - Focus on the plan. I have to stay focused. Thank you for helping me.
0 Kudos
tfritz

Samar, I wish I knew how to get the smell out, too. My car stinks!!! I may actually wash the upholstery b/c I think that probably has the smell in it, not the air as much anymore.
  Glad to see you're on day 4... I'm on day 6. Send me an email if you want! 🙂
0 Kudos
samar

Hi Tfritz:
  What I will be trying to do now to just wipe all my car's upholstery and the sealing using a bucket of water with soap then water and fabric softener.... then when it is completely dry with fabreze... or you know sometimes at the car wash they can wash your car inside out... I might try that... but I haven't got to the car stage yet... I think every time I am in my car I open my windows and that helps... but I am more concerned about my appt more.... How does it feel to be on day 6?? how are you cravings...
0 Kudos
tfritz

I guess I'm lucky because I'm not allowed to smoke in the house I rent, so I used to go outside. My car is a BIG obstacle in this quitting business-huge trigger! I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. It feels great to be on day 6! I was actually really sick days 1-3 so it kindof flew by since I was sleeping alot! Days 4-6 have been harder cuz I'm back at work and smoke breaks were part of my routine. Also after work. I'm hoping I can busy myself over the weekend. I went to dinner w a smoker friend and we had a beer... I thought it may be a disaster but when she smoked on the way home, I wanted to gag! 🙂 I didn't tell her i quit until we were on our way... How are your cravings? Mine are all psychological, so I'm just thinking "i want dopamine' instead of ' i want a cigarette' it sounds better to me.
0 Kudos
samar

Well you are definitely stronger than I am. I had to turn down a friends invitation to hang out tonight... I was afraid of the temptation if we go for a drink or something. My cravings are really bad at times.. but I am using the patch so I hoping that it helps a little ... also I cut down on my coffee as well as sleeping a lot, also I am eating a lot (disaster)!!!! but the way I look at it if I can kick this habit away then I can start controlling my food. I will be starting to go to the gym on Monday... this way I would have giving my self a little time to adjust without cigarettes...I admire your strength.. Keep it up..
0 Kudos
tfritz

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, this is the end of my LONG smoking chapter. 16/36 years. 😮
  I'm eating more too but also drinking alot of hot chocolate! Days 4-6 have been the hardest, but it peaks and valleys- NOT continuous. Keep in mind I'm on an antidepressant so I'm a bit flighty. I did situps the last 2 days, just to get up off the couch and do something other than go out and smoke.
0 Kudos
bubba

Hope everyone is doing ok. I know I have had my moments where I really wanted to smoke. But removing myself from the usual triggers has been very beneficial. For me the triggers was drinking at night and hanging out in the family room watching tv. So I have not been drinking at night and watching tv. I have been taking the time to get caught up on my reading. I am on day 6 and counting. Yes, I can do it, we can do it!
0 Kudos
spunkie

WoW this is a great group I wish you all luck and invite you to my page to watch a funny video that will make you laugh and help with your quit. Also while you are there please join the group call QPC it is where we will have you a party when you hit milestones like 30 days 60 days etc helps keep you going and gives you a chance to say congratulations to others ..
  SMOKE FREE AND LOVING IT ..JUST...PAYING IT FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos