cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DOCmarkC

OK, so how are we doing?

I have to admit, I haven't been checking on this site much. I haven't written anything since the beginning of last month.
I quit March 16th, and I haven't cheated once. I have had good times and bad times, but the thing that keeps me from quitting is knowing that I would have to restart my clock, and worse, I would have to go through the whole detox and withdrawal thing again.
I guess I am no longer quitting.... I think I qualify as an ex-smoker now. I can't say I don't have cravings, but they are like a craving for a food group. Yeah a ham sandwich sounds good, but I'm not pacing around thinking I HAVE to go get one. I bet a cigarette would taste pretty nasty right now anyway.
Hmm. I used to smoke a cigar now and then. Especially when golfing or while watching a good football game. Is that cheating? Does that count as a relapse?

My wife managed to quit for two weeks. Everyone, my kids,my in-laws, everyone will tell you that she became a stark raving lunatic while she wasn't smoking. I think she convinced herself somehow that it was going to be bad. She didn't take it as a challenge to overcome, but as an insurmountable obstacle that she was going to have to hopelessly struggle against for a while before giving up and proving to herself the futility. Yes, I know that was negative, but you would have had to have seen it. You could tell in her eyes that she wasn't trying to quit, she was trying to prove to herself that she could NOT quit. Encouragement was like throwing acid. We simply could not help her. Unfortunately, now she is the one smoker in the family. We don't ride in her car, I don't hang my jacket next to hers, We both used to smell, but now I have trouble being around her if she has smoked within the last 45 minutes or so. This is becoming a rather serious issue. I don't want to be saying thigs like "You stink honey and it makes me ill... Please stay away from me." She feels bad enough about relapsing.. I don't want to add to the frustration.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
tracy9

I also quit in March .....the 7th to be exact and since that date I have wanted a cigarette every day. I am taking wellbutrin and will continue until the doctor says its time.to stop I have taken a drag off of other cigarettes but to tell you the truth...just doesn't taste the same anymore. I remember the way it tasted and thats what I miss.......but they are nasty now. I wouldn't call this a relapse...i think a relapse is when you buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke the entire pack. Then tell everyone that you still have not smoked. I myself do not want to have to start over again. My husband quit 9 years ago and I was still smoking. I never realized just how bad I reeked until I quit. I asked him why he never said anything about the horrible smell and he told me that it was something he grew to overlook. He never offended me by telling me that I stunk or by ostrasizing me.....i guess he loves me too much. Anyway.....I have been smoke free for 128 days. Some days are better than others and summer is harder than the fall. Nothing better than a cold bottle of beer on a hot summer day with a cigarette in your hand. Sure do miss the habit.....not the cigarettes. Good luck everyone and hang in there. Hopefully it gets better.....lol