cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dennisad

Not ready to quit?

My insurance company is telling me I need to quit smoking...yeah, I know I should, but I don't know that I want to because I am being forced to. It's hard to want to do something when someone tells you that you have too so it's not really your choice. Can anyone relate to my situation? My wife doesn't smoke and I know she wishes I would quit for my health and also to be a better example to our teenage son. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
dennisad

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that you have the health problems that you do...that's terrible! I'm cutting back so that's a start. My wife is hoping I will quit completely soon...baby steps. 

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

All good points above. Just one thing I want to add. You say your cutting back....it won't work that way, seldom does.

The thing about Nicotine is that every time you inhale your turning on the receptors in your brain to want another one....and another one and another one.. I know you hate to read but Allen Carr book is short, extremely fast and more people have quit using it. Highly recommend it. 'The EASYWAY to quit smoking'. Just a suggestion. I never wanted to quit either...then I learned the truth WHY i never wanted to quit. Take time and read the book.

maryfreecig

What is it that would make you want to quit? Have you thought about quitting before?

One thing you could do to perhaps crack open a door to your own willingness to quit would be to video yourself smoking--and talk about how much you love it. Why you love it, why you don't want to quit and so forth, just ramble, don't hold back. Watch it 24 hours later on a large screen if possible (not a tiny phone image). Make no moral judgement about what you see, but just watch from start to finish.

Also, you can save all of your cigarettes in a clear jar... Keep it out in the open, do not hide it from yourself.  In time they add up. They do not look as good as that nicotine hit feels as it arrives to the brain in seconds of taking a puff. 

I hear what you are saying about not wanting to quit. But in truth what you are really attached to are the hits of nicotine (not the direct killer--ironically),but not so much the cigarette itself (the toxic delivery system)--and yet because as smokers, we can't feel the nicotine (cuz we use it almost constantly!!!) in the same way as we do with other drugs such as booze. Few drinkers are confused as to what alcohol is. The drinker knows alcohol is a drug and can be had in many strengths. Nicotine, on the other hand,  is almost a silent drug (in my opinion)...making the cigarette smoking itself seem so awesome, so all important. 

So much to gain by letting go of the addiction! Once you are over it, clarity sets in about how much of an addiction. Keep searching for your very own reason to quit--it may be a lot closer than you think.

elvan

maryfreecig‌ Brilliant, seriously brilliant!

0 Kudos