cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tyl3rdurd3n

Not getting the kick after the breakfast

Hey. So its my 17th day of the quit. I am struggling with one habit of mine, I used to smoke after my breakfast and that used to be a signal that now its time to start my day and get to work. And that has stopped now. And so, after my breakfast, i dont feel that kick or that energy to work, because that button is still off and i end up going to bed, lay there for a while and then eventually sleep. It's been a regular pattern now. 

Any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong or how i could change this? Or should i just let it be for a few more days, because that's how i have been handling all other issues and its working so far.

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

If this were any other time, I would suggest you get out after breakfast for a quick walk........but since you can't.......................

You might try marching in place for a bit, swinging your arms, to get that boost you are lacking.  If you can do them, push-ups also will work, or a set of jumping jacks.  Any kind of brisk exercise can provide a hit of dopamine you are missing.  Yoga or an exercise video also can help.

If that feels like just too much still, then do rest.  You are still early in your quit, and TLC of YOU is called for.  If you feel OK when you get back up (and not MORE sluggish) then by all means, do what feels best right now.  This is a day at a time journey.  Choose what is best to get through each day.

Congratulations on 17 days!  That is H U G E!

Enjoy your smoke free day, and stay safe!

Nancy

Tyl3rdurd3n

Thanks for the advice Nancy. Yes, I would be thinking on it for next few days, whether to just give rest to the body, or to do some exercise or build some alternate routine or habit

Margaretd

I remember that cigarette after breakfast.  My euphoric recall wants me to remember it with fondness, but actually, it was just the start of what I would do all day long... smoke, 20 minutes later, smoke, 20 minutes after that, smoke.  Oh, what a rut.

So, I needed to have a new routine.  At first, I was not big on doing a physical action.  I just didn't have the energy.  That changed after a while, so in the meantime, I created a new habit.  

After breakfast, I would find a quiet or private place, I would have an 8 oz bottle of water and drink it.  Then, I would get down on my knees and ask (the universe) to take away my desire to smoke.   Then I would come out to my office and write exactly what I felt like as I was going through that particular crave.  This routine took 10  minutes and then  I was okay.  I did this for 2 weeks and I got through that moring-after-breakfast crave.

There is nothing like being nicotine-free -  even, if only, to snub my nose at big, bad tobacco.  "You don't own me anymore."

Tyl3rdurd3n

It's exactly the same. That cigarette was my way to start my day, but then it would be one after the other just to keep going. So, yes, something is missing now! I'll think on what u just told and see if i can take some of your habits. I particularly feel this 8 oz bottle of water could help me

sweetplt

This is a good question...change it up...maybe drink tea, or take a walk or exercise (which will give you that spike)...and/or come to Ex’s...and help others in their journey...it is finding that routine that works for you.  In the beginning, often it takes a few days or week to get a new routine...don’t worry...just don’t smoke...you did great coming here ... proud of you...make another day won...~ Colleen 506 DOF 

Tyl3rdurd3n

Thanks. Now that i realize its okay to feel this way, I will work on it now

AnnetteMM

I still have that feeling, even after 2 years quit. I need a little "something" after I eat. 

So...for me, it's sugar. I have a small piece of hard candy, or a cookie, or whatever.

It helps.

elvan

This too shall pass, it will get better.  There are all kinds of triggers that appear and then become memories instead of triggers.  It does get easier, just stick with it.

Ellen

0 Kudos
minihorses

I slept for about 3 weeks.  If nicotine was a depressant I couldn't figure out why I was so tired but it passed.  Be gentle to yourself.  Quitting is not a race, it's a slow journey.  The rabbit lost the race, the turtle won 

0 Kudos