cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Not Good

Well, I am very well aware that pneumonia has bad consequences for COPD but I'm in a state of shock!

My Spirometry Test results were very disappointing.

My lung capacity is now 25% less than a Year ago!

That's the bad news!

The good news is that because I have asthma along with all the other components of COPD

some of the lung capacity might come back.

I have a follow-up with my pulmonologist in May.

Meanwhile he put me on Spiriva to complement the Advair I have been taking.

The doctor said that most people with my lung capacity are disabled.

The only reason I'm not is because I work so much I'm used to herculeon efforts on a daily basis.

SSD requires that you make less than $1000/Month and takes 6 Months to qualify.

By then I'd be bankrupt and who would pay for my meds? No work, no Insurance!

Retirement isn't even in the horizon.

All I can do is not smoke, exercise, and take my meds. 

...and pray!

Tags (1)
32 Replies

Thanks Folks!

I appreciate the love, support and prayers!

I'm going to get some rest now.

I have a full day of work tomorrow.2621.jpeg

It's the Ladies in my life that keep me going forward!

elvan

All these prayers coming your way are going to make a difference and you know that we all love you so much.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I am SO sorry for this news, but I believe (as others have mentioned) that you will see improvement.  I imagine COPD cuts back on the speed of your healing from the pneumonia, so maybe not despair over this test quite yet?

I would, though, investigate your disability options and see exactly what you are up against?  Perhaps it would be wise to apply for it now - while you are still able to work and have insurance? I can't imagine anyone can do without income or insurance for six months   Once on it, you will qualify for Medicaid for your medical care - that I know.

You have proven yourself to be a more than competent investigator - so get to it!  It will give you something to do besides worry, too!

I will be saying prayers and keeping you close in my heart.

Nancy

Sootie

Praying for you my dear friend. I know you are coming up on 7 years and I remember with a smile our first talks together on here. I was so excited to find someone who lived in Colorado where my daughter is. Over the years, we've both been through the ups and downs of life (still jealous of your BIG "up" in that granddaughter!). Don't let the shock throw you. Dive right back into what you have been doing.....I think work is good for the soul(it certainly is good to keep your mind off your problems!). Take good care of yourself. 

0 Kudos
plug66

best of luck to you Thomas....Many prayers coming your way...

0 Kudos
Thats_it

Asthma is much more treatable now than it was ages ago. Keep on doing your things! ❤️

0 Kudos
Stopforgood

Praying for you Thomas, my friend.  Your courage and strength inspire the whole community/family.  Continued Prayers.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Thomas, I am so sorry you have to go through this. Things will eventually work out. it's a shame what our system puts us through after we have worked for so many years.They figure if you are still working, you are able to work. I got help and so will you. It takes time and sometimes you have to go the legal route with documents from Dr.s etc.

Quitting smoking was the best thing. I am thinking of you and sending prayers and a big hug!

With beautiful ladies like that, you can't go wrong! Hang in there, my friend! ((((((((Thomas)))))))))))))

~Terrie~

0 Kudos
KMC56

My heart is breaking for you sweet Thomas.   SSD...sucks, Medicaid is a you know what to qualify for, as I am finding out with my 87 yo mom.  Especially the hard ass working class.  Something is very wrong!!!  You know my prayers are with you.  

Kathy

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Thomas, I have had COPD for a long time now but I have never heard the term "broken glass" What does that mean?  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos