cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nostalgia

I just came across this new approach to Public Service Announcements for Smoking Cessation. 

Can fond memories prompt smokers to quit? - Futurity 

"A person's mind is at ease when remembering the past. This is when life was simpler."

I don't know about that! My childhood was full of pain and deprivation - true hardship! I have zero nostalgia for anything that went on then! And there was nothing simple about being a kid with no power over the world my adults created for me. This commercial would make me go out and buy a carton of Sickerettes!

But I'm sure I'm the exception! 

Now I know that Sickerettes have done nothing to change or even hide this truth. But as a smoker - no way would I quit! And I now do have more personal power over my Life because I don't smoke! 

Unreal!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
elvan

I have lots of fond memories but some of them were from the time when I was smoking...the smoking itself was not and is not a fond memory, unlike a lot of people, I really did not like smoking but I thought I NEEDED it.  My childhood was all over the place, there were five kids in my family, my father smoked, we moved every couple of years because he was in the service.  My fondest memories are from when my kids were little and I was seeing the world through their eyes.  It was before I got sick, I was really happy...would that memory prompt me to quit?  HOW?  I was still smoking then, sneaking outside at regular intervals.  I WISH I had quit THEN or better yet, that I had never started.  I don't understand the message in that PSA unless they are saying that smokers can remember a happy time when they DIDN'T smoke and realize that they can be happy without cigarettes?

Mortalzeus

That was a PSA for smoking cessation? Really? Thomas if you didn't tell me that, I wouldn't have guessed.  Going back to the simpler time in my life was when I started smoking.  It was cool as a kid to smoke and they want me to remember the care free times of no responsibility or accountability for my actions? WOW! Hope nobody got paid to create that PSA. 

0 Kudos