cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

snogeyg

No Smokes in the House

I quit on 7th July '15 and am about to enter week 11 of the Champix  program. Oh, how many times would I have broken my will if there had been a packet of the mongrels in the house at the time. I remember people saying in some chat rooms "If you got 'em - smoke 'em ! ".

So I decided from day 1 that I would never buy cigerettes again. So my only temptation to get over was not to buy them. So when the urge did hit me - I did't have any in the house, and as an extra benefit none of my neighbours and close friends smoked, therefore I could not "bludge" a durry(cig) from them.

Currently I have a friend, who smokes, visiting for a few weeks. I was surprised that I have not had the urge to share one with him, it seems the longer you can resist the urge, the easier it is to adhere to your resolve. I thought that the smell of the smoke may have had an effect on me, but it didn't.

It was then that I realised, it was my old "habitualised" practises that was my hurdle and not the yearing for the cigarette taste. Habits like having one with my morning coffee, when sitting and chatting with friends on the computer, and the may other times I had been "tested" since I Quit.

So by not having the temptation in the house, I have been able to get this far. Now I just resolve to never buy cigarettes again so not to  have them in the house. When the temptations come, I have nothing in the house to fulfill it - and the temptation passes within a minute or so.

So Friends - DON'T BUY THE BUGGERS IN THE FIRST PLACE !

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

that's right.

you can't smoke if you don't have any around.

Congrats on 11 weeks.

If you haven't been focusing on them, you are nearly through the most difficult time of a quit.

Stay the course!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You can't smoke'em if you ain't got'em!!!

You are right on!  The most difficult part is all the associations and triggers in our lives.  As we navigate each one successfully, they have less and less power over us. Seems like you are doing GREAT.

Keep it up!

Nancy

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

I do believe you have made it 2 months! Congratulations!!   WHOoooooooooooooooooooooHOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Terrie  9  weeks

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 8 weeks of freedom. 

0 Kudos
Barbara145

You are doing this!  Carry On!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You are doing super fantastic with your precious quit.

Marilyn 

0 Kudos
mdep4890-2

My worse time is in the morning. I just can't seem to get over this hurdle. I feel stuck because the times I have not had a morning cigarette I have not smoked the whole day. I am still working on this and will quit! Any ideas?

0 Kudos