cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

No Encouragement From Husband!

Day 105 on my quit and my sons are so proud of me!  I get hugs and encouragement daily from both of them.  My husband on the other hand has only offered encouragement twice about my quit in the last 105 days,  On quit day he said "You quit today? Great!" and after I told him I'd made it 50 days I got "That's nice".  Other than those two days he's said nothing.  He completely blew off my 100th day. The boys on the other hand told me how good I was doing and how proud they were of me.  My youngest son said we should do something to celebrate, my husband didn't give 2 sh^ts.  The biggest reason I quit was for my husband and kids.  I quit for me too but it was secondary to them.  If it wasn't for the boys I'd be smoking again.  I won't let them down and I really don't want to go back to it.  If I was single without kids I can guarantee I would have smoked myself to death. I just don't get the lack of support from the jerk of a husband, especially after watching his mother die of emphysema!  I will remain quit but it would be nice if the man I love and have been married to for 33 years gave me encouragement and support. Thank God I get all the love and support here on Ex and I want to thank you all for being the best quit buddies!!!

Julie

21 Replies
Barb102

Wonderful   You got this I’m only 24 days and still struggling. I’m seeking that now people think in its over I got it beat and basically stop talking about it. I’m glad we have each other. You rock!

Sandi4

Congratulations on 105 Days WON! You’re now well into your triple digits....AWESOME SAUCE!!!

Lisaml

I'm glad your sons are supportive and encouraging!!! 

congratulations!  You are rocking this!!!;-) 

Sootie

Congratulations on 105 days. Is this just with quitting smoking? Or is your husband a generally undemonstrative person? I ask only because we can all change many things but our basic personalities don't change too much. Also, if your husband is a non smoker....sometimes they really can't imagine that quitting is all that much of a big deal. Because they are not addicts. In any case......your quit is your quit....pat your self on the back and enjoy your sons admiration.

Stay Strong.

kortneltinga

I have had emphysema for about five years. I was on oxygen during the day but not at night. I could go about two hours without the oxygen, and then I need it. I had a converter in the house and oxygen tanks for when I go shopping, etc. I am 64 years old and in relatively good health. The doctor said it was caused by a combination of smoking, dust here in Vegas, and 30 years of smog in California. I believed I will always need the oxygen to breathe. I quit smoking 15 years ago. But the damage has been done. January 2017  my pulmonologist and I decided to go with natural treatment and was introduced to Green House Herbal Clinic natural organic Emphysema Herbal formula, i had a total decline of symptoms with this Emphysema Herbal formula treatment. The infections, shortness of breath, fatigue, dry cough and other symptoms has subsided. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official website [link removed] or email [email removed]. I have had great improvement with my over all respiration with this product and i breath very much easier, i can never be thankful enough to nature

Edited by Mark‌. This appears to be solicitation. For the time being, I've removed the link and email address as we don't allow solicitation per our BecomeAnEX Community Guidelines

0 Kudos

Husbands are the worst!

🙂

just keep going.

this has to be for you first.

you are the one who is going to be alive until you aren't.

make the most of it.

cat52

I feel the same way with my husband. He is supportive in that he will tell me he is proud of me, but at the same time he will light up a cigarette right in front of me and leave packs laying all around the house. I understand that just because I am quitting, I am not going to guilt him into it. I know he has to be ready. I did ask him, however, if he could be more considerate, and I still find he is doing these things. Part of me wonders if he is sabotaging me somewhat. Since I quit, I have tried to stay busy and do things where I can not smoke and I think he misses the me who would sit around with him and smoke and talk. I almost find I avoid him so I don't want to smoke. I guess he is feeling lonely and maybe a little rejected. Not sure what to do about this....Cat52

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

My husband smokes, my roommate/friend smokes. I used to smoke the same brand as my roommate and we would just take turns buying the carton, he still keeps the carton in the same spot, I just keep breath mints where I used to keep my open pack. I still buy my husbands cigarettes, I drive and handle the money so it is better that way. I did miss our conversations we would have out on the front porch, no one smokes in the main house- either outside or in the garage. I did keep myself busy doing other things, including coming to this site to read when he was out smoking. I also made a point to search him out when he wasn't smoking and start conversations that way. Harder since he is usually distracted playing games or watching TV, but I try to keep the conversations going, just in a different area. The first month he would smoke in the truck, but the last few weeks he has been trying to avoid that so he is coming around..maybe..lol

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Agree with Sootie‌ here, if your husband does not smoke, he has no idea how hard it is to quit.  My husband was this "occasional" smoker, he'd have one with me on weekends, or if we had friends over, then nothing.  I did not celebrate any of my milestones with him.  I got not gifts, or taken out for dinner, or a present!  But he is proud I quit even if he does not say it too often. 

This is the place I celebrate, these are the people who understand, and appreciate what I do by staying smober. This is where I feel supported, and where I come to support other.

You are doing a fantastic job Julie, be proud of your accomplishments, including raising 2 wonderful sons!

indingrl

Congrats on 106 NICOTINE free days TODAY -12-18 for JULIE!!! Yahooooooo great job my beloved sister in recovery fron NICOTINE just this day only....ONE day at a time and TOGETHER WE will stay quit no matter what in MY Lord Jesus name amen please take what HELPS and let go of the rest! Thank you and thanks Juile for helping me to remember to thank God for all he is doing and I thanked God for you and ALL here with the spiritual UNITY to NOT TAKE ONE PUFF OVER ME or OURSELVES....just for today. Keep on keeping on Julie your doing FANTASTIC!!!!!!