cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tcbear

Nightmares!?

Ok... For all of you using the patch, as I am, as a quit aid, I have a question.  

When do the freakin nightmares stop!?

The mornings are one of the hardest for me so I really would rather keep the patch on all night. 

17 Replies
Tcbear

DAY 6!   WHOOP WHOOP!

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations, you are almost through Hell week!

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I used the patch and after a few vivid and very colorful dreams I stopped wearing it at night  It  was also difficult to fall asleep with it on . I  took it off about an hour before I went to bed, there was enough nicotine in my system to last until  I went to sleep .I never had those dreams again .Mornings were very hard for me  so I put the new  patch right on the nightstand and put it on the very first thing in the morning . I even kept some nicotine lozenges so I could immediately pop one in my mouth while the patch took effect,  I am very happy to tell you  that after 52 years of smoking  with the help of  the good Lord ,the patch and being on this site  I am now 2 years smoke and nicotine free it was official at 12:00 midnight  two years !!!!

So please stick with it You can sleep well without the patch and eventually you will not only be smoke -free but nicotine free too and loving it !

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Thank you Bonnie. Congratulations on your 2 year aniversary! That is awesome! Whoop whoop! Great advice about the lozenges for the quick fix until the new patch starts to work. I will most definitly try that. I miss my sleep to much not to. 

Lauralives

Hi Tcbear.  Sorry to hear about the nightmares.  I also take the patch off before bed.  Congrats also on Day 8!!  I stopped using the patch because I'm allergic to the adhesive or the nicotine or something.  It became accumulative and when I put another patch on,  all the sites where all the other patches would start itching.  Yikes, it was driving me crazy.  I've used the patches on previous quits and that never happened before but it just goes to show you, things change and that is a good thing!!  It means so can we and it can be easier!!  So this is day 3 with out the patch and I am on day 11.  I'm actually doing ok.  Hang in there Tcbear!!

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Hi Laura and thank you! Congrats on majical number 11. Keep up the fight! WE ALL ROCK!

bonniebee

If you have a problem with adhesive This is what happened to me and how i handled it  :

When I put the patch on in the morning it always made my skin under the patch itch for 20 to 30 minutes then it would stop I found the less expensive brand (Walmart ) bothered me the least .

My upper arms and the back of each shoulder handled the patch the best Each night when I removed the patch I also completely removed the glue residue with a cotton ball and alcohol ....very important to prevent build up and itching.

One time I put the patch on my inner upper arm and it really itched a lot  and turned very red I had to take it off and move it to my outer arm Probably the inner skin was more sensitive .

These  little problems with the patch were very small in comparison with how much the patch helped me to quit by making the Withdrawal  gradual and so much easier . 

0 Kudos
Whimsy3715

Good morning, Tcbear! I'm sorry you're experiencing the nightmares, but if you aren't assured by now, let me just add to it: I had them, too. I've tried to quit numerous times using the patches and always ended up with nightmares. Horrid, horrid nightmares that made me wonder what evils my subconscious hides. I digress. My point is, I think it's relatively normal. I can't suggest much more than what everyone else already has except for one thing. Try taking the patch off 2 hours before bedtime. The nicotine is still in your system and should help the bedtime craving. Taking it off early should help you sleep better and not have the constant stream of nicotine aiding those night terrors. Good luck!

0 Kudos