cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

akerwin10

Nicotine aids???

Well tomorrow is the day I am going to get rid of this burden of nicotine addiction.. I am freaking out and calm at the same time but most of all I am nervous. I have tried many times to quit smoking and always end up back at it again and again... 

My question to the community is this, what is the best way to quit? By this I mean what is the nicotine replacement that has helped people here the most? I have tried many different things like gum and patches but did not have to much success, then again I do not think I really wanted to quit back then. I refuse to take Chantix or other things of that sort because I currently work at a pharmaceutical company to I know way to much about these pills that they are trying to pass off as a quit smoking aid. If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated as I have already done the reading that people in this community recommended and am now ready to quit.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
bonniebee

I used the patch ans have reached 28 months of freedom from smoking !!! I had been a serial quitter but I knew with this quit it would be different because I had found EX and I knew before I reached my quit date that I had  "struck gold " with these great supportive people ! My recommendation to you is to try the patch again and maybe buy a small supply of nicotine  gum or the lozenges, I used these in the beginning along with the patch for an extra hard crave at times I planned ahead on getting off all nicotine by the time I finished the recommended time on the patch. I was very addicted and needed all the help I could get ! feel free to message me any time if you need advice about the patch welcome glad you are here.jpg

jbliesmer

You have to find your way. Once you truly believe your quit is going to happen- it will.

Once you believe you are strong enough to beat the nasty addiction - you will.

No two quits are the same. I don't look down on those who use NRTs, those who take pills, those who quit cold turkey. Every single one of us is different. 

Whatever gets you there, so be it.

Best wishes

~Jaime

34 days of Freedom

maryfreecig

Train your brain to understand how toxic cigarettes are: go to extraordinary lengths to understand what eternal vigilance is and practice it. If you believe you are in love with cigarettes rather than addicted, you need to bash this reality top to bottom. If you believe you cannot live or be happy or be satisfied without a cigarette, you need to bash this reality top to bottom. 

Don't just let go of the cigarettes, let go of the addiction. 

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I used all three. The patch, gum, and lozenges. In the beginning, I would at times use gum with the patch.  They all help to take the edge off. But, as others have already said here your best quit tool is the one between your ears. (:

Daniela2016

Patches helped me in the past, and at the beginning of my final quit (455 DOFs as of today).

I used the e-cigarette for about 1 month, trying the same principals as for patches (gradually decreasing the amount of nicotine).  But after reading about horrid accidents, after Dale called it "smoking with a battery", and after reading Allan Carr's Easy Way I "quit" the e-cigarette before the scheduled date.

The more you know about the addiction and the tools to gain advantage over it, the easier your quit is going to be!

All the best, and congrats for:

gardenancy8

What worked for me was this site and all the people on it! The education on the addiction. Reading and reading a whole bunch on this site during the first few weeks.  I didn't take any pills or patches etc....  Just the knowledge on the addiction was good enough reason for me to quit!  Now I just tell myself that smoking is no longer an option. Welcome to the site! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Education is the key to a successful quit. 

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

akerwin10

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement!! Yesterday was not a good day but today is the weekend and it is officially the first day of my quit!! You will probably see me on here quite often but I am focused and really do want to quit this time! I do not even enjoy smoking anymore so I feel this will be an easier task to accomplish than every other time I have tried. I have also decided to just go cold turkey because I feel that if I use other sources of nicotine it will just prolong the struggle. Again thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and advice!

Anthony

elvan

akerwin10‌ GOOD FOR YOU!  Congratulations on your quit and your first day as an EX. I promise you that it will get easier but there will be times when you will doubt that.  Come here and blog, talk to people who have been where you are, there are LOTS of us.  We ALL had a day one, by the end of this day, you will have a day WON!

Ellen

Minnowrockeek

I agree with most of the other comments posted, best to truly want to quit. I've tried most options out there and have quit for up to 2 months in the past. Now at 74 days with the help of the excommunity and the lozenges. I was a chewer, so the lozenges most closely resemble the chew. I can park it and a lozenge can slowly disipate over up to 2 hours. Can bite the 4mg in half and only get 2mg.

Don't be afraid to use the replacements. It's not a crutch as some might say. If it works to keep you quit then GREAT. 

You can do it.

0 Kudos