cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

m.vincent3203

Nicotine Patches?

Jump to solution

Hello, My name is Megan. I am new to this community, but I am ready to stop smoking. I am looking into patches, and would like some feed back on what patches work best. Also I seen some states provide people attempting to quit with patches. Does anyone know of any programs like this. I know patches can be pricey, and with three kids I really do not have room in the budget to spend on them. I will make the sacrifice to be able to stop for good, just curious if anyone has found programs that assist with this. 

Tags (1)
18 Replies
Barbscloud

That's great.   Continue to prepare and educate yourself leading up to your date.  If you're interested, I signed up for text messages from the Ex leading up to my quit date.  It helped to get my excited as my date approached.  Looking forward to celebrating with you on the 29th.

Barb

nwtw

Thanks!  I am trying mini quits now, to help me get ready.  

Gai.C

I used Equate brand from Walmart.  My Insurance company sent them to me free the first time I tried to Quit.  The second time I bought them myself.  Cheaper than Cigarettes.  

Gai.C

Tic Tacs, cinnamon candy . Some Quitsters on Quitnet suggested cutting a straw the length of your cigarette and put a small piece of cotton in the end. 

Gai.C

No amount of NRT will work if you aren't committed. NOPE REALLY IS THE ONLY WAY. NOT ONE PUFF EVER 

Minnowrockeek

Not sure about patches, but this program will provide Nicotine lozenges or gum, at least a "starter pack". Has really helped me. I tried the patches before, but think maybe I had the wrong dosage so I really didn't like it. With lozenges or gum I can add or subtract as needed. I got 4mg lozenges and bit it in half if I don't need the full 4mg or am trying to conserve. I agree all the nicotine alternatives are pretty spendy, but worth it in the long run if it helps you stay quit.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Minnowrockeek wrote:

Not sure about patches, but this program will provide Nicotine lozenges or gum, at least a "starter pack". Has really helped me. I tried the patches before, but think maybe I had the wrong dosage so I really didn't like it. With lozenges or gum I can add or subtract as needed. I got 4mg lozenges and bit it in half if I don't need the full 4mg or am trying to conserve. I agree all the nicotine alternatives are pretty spendy, but worth it in the long run if it helps you stay quit.

Minnowrockeek‌ Yes, you receive a benefit from your/your spouses employer as a sponsored member through the EX Program. It's not available to all members of the site. Glad that you're finding value in it.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

To re-iterate what others have said above m.vincent3203, You can check if you're Sponsored in the Sponsorship area of Edit Profile. If you aren't sponsored then your best bet is to call 800-QUIT-NOW, your health plan provider, your county health department or your health care provider to see what options exist for you if you.  There are some over the counter options available as well both in generic and brand name. Some comments have been made above about those options.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
nwtw

Thanks. I called Quit Now and they are providing patches and gum to me.