cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kimber7

On my 3rd quit attempt since Thanksgiving.  I can go 2-3 days then I crack.  First I was using a generic patch and had bad skin irritation from it so I kept taking it off which basically lead to smoking again.   Then I joined our state Quitline and was sent 2 weeks worth of free patches but had a pretty serious health scare and had to go for an MRI with contrast and I have a severe needle phobia so I was freaking out.   Then had to wait until the doctors figured out what was wrong.  The first guess was Multiple Sclerosis so I was extremely stressed, I'm only 35 with no kids yet and quitting was just not a priority during that time until I was able to get a second opinion.   Started the patch again New Year's Day but stopped on the way home last night and bought a pack.  I felt like I was having an anxiety attack even though I was wearing the patch.   Almost made it 4 days!    I never thought it would be this hard!!!   

0 Kudos
7 Replies
amanda-mayhem

I've had 8 days of success on the gum.  I don't chew very much - just when I feel like I REALLY "need" one.  No "smoky thoughts" either.  I just, at this point, *know* I'm done forever.  You can so do this, hang in there!

0 Kudos
kimber7

I was totally fine, no interest in smoking at all the first few days then it just hits me and I lose control. 

0 Kudos
tomthetool

I just read the whole course on quitsmokingonline.com today. Really helpful in respect to the fear and cravings you get when you stop. You should start reading it immediately if you really want and are ready to quit.

0 Kudos
kimber7

free is good!  i've been reading Allen Carr's book too.

0 Kudos
Yaya2.6.10

Welcome to the site.  Many of us here have found that education is the key to a successful quit.  If you go to Members and type hwc and/'or aztec and they have lots of links which will help you. Also, we all hang out in blogs so you will find lots more action if you go there to read and post.

0 Kudos
kimber7

thanks, will check those out!

0 Kudos
deifsteve

I used the patch but took it off before I went to bed. (kept me awake) At the same time I also used nic gum for strong cravings. (4 or 5 times a day) For the gum, I found that with a bad craving, just put the gum in your mouth, sit, relax, and concentrate on getting that tingle from the gum. You will feel your craving ease in about 5 min or so and then you will be fine. Then after a while reduce to a weaker patch and weaker gum, then stop the patch and only use the weakest gum for cravings. Then you can get off the gum. You will feel great and you might find it easier than you thought. I found it so easy I kick myself for not doing it years ago.

0 Kudos