cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

adrieoc

Newbie trying to quit.

I’ve been smoking more than half my life always say to myself I wouldn’t run out onto Route 95 to get hit by a car but yet every day when I light a cigarette I’m killing myself. I did quit years ago for about eight years, and I picked one up after a glass of alcohol. So now I have to stay off the alcohol, I can’t sit and have my tea in the morning. I can’t talk on the phone. Those are the triggers. I’m having spinal surgery having a fusion on C, 4,5 &6, the surgeon will not Operate on me unless I’m nicotine, free, I tried doing it cold turkey with the gum and it didn’t work so now I’m putting my mind to it. I’m taking Chantix and I am going to be a non-smoker by February 2. I need all the prayers and help I can get none of my friends smoke my husband doesn’t smoke my children don’t smoke, so why in God’s name do I smoke because it’s a bad nasty habit, 

at $14 a pack I should be putting that money in a piggy bank and going on a nice big trip. Maybe I’ll do it that might be a good thing to look forward to thank you for all the support

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
Maki

It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding as to what your triggers are and what you will have to do to change things this time . It seems you also know that alcohol was a contributing factor to you giving away your quit . 
I belonged to a group of chantix quitters and most had very good success with it . Be aware of some of the side effects so they don’t surprise you . I know tummy problems were often mentioned . I took Chantix for just two weeks and did feel nauseated , but I counteracted it with one dose of baby gravol , that’s all and it was fine . I checked with my dr of course before doing that . 
Chantix is expensive as well , but if you are not having any issues with it the expense of a few months of that far outweighs the cost of smoking . Chantix is temporary . 
I am sorry to hear you have to have surgery and do hope it will bring you relief . I can testify that quitting smoking will help the healing and  the breathing ( anesthetic recovery ) and in general . ( I have had surgery as a smoker ) and surgery as a non smoker . My lungs really like the non smoker . 
You will learn so much here on Ex in regard to addiction and your bad habits as you say and with that knowledge it will be easier to quit as well . I encourage you do a lot of reading throughout the site . Post if you need help navigating , post before you smoke , that is a lifesaver ! Post to help others too if you are comfortable with that , it will also help you . 

I would also like to mention that there is a faith and spirituality group here at Ex as well if you haven’t already joined in which you can also join along side of posting here on the main thread . Please visit and read the community guidelines at the bottom of the page where the guidelines address that .

I also go to the F and S ( not every day ) but I love it there and hope we will see you there too. I’ll let those from the group who are more active in the F and S group post the link for you , but if you want you can go to top left of your screen click on the three lines go into groups and scroll down to get to F and S group . Also if you get a chance to look around there is a moving group , arts n crafts , music , cooking and others that may interest you . You may want to join the pledge page as well , some find that helpful . Find the tools that you think may be helpful for you . 

I just personally want to welcome you to Ex main thread and hopefully the F and S group as well and congratulate you on your quit .

If you’ve never quit with support , then this is the place for you . Everyone here will be supportive , that’s the motto people say here  “we do it together “ I am Maki , I started started smoking with day one , I quit starting with day one and every day moving forward day won .  I also gave away an eight year quit for that one puff you spoke of ( mine stemmed from divorce , not drinking tho ) and I smoked for five years after . I now have 12 and a half years quit . I know you can do this . 

B4D96062-2255-4BC5-9491-E56A252D11E7.jpeg

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing, @adrieoc and thank you @Maki for sharing these resources! We're here to support you on your quit, please keep posting so we can send you encouragement and more resources. You got this. 😄 

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex @adrieoc. You've made a start, keep going, keep it one step at a time and keep it in today. 

20220808_163610.jpg

0 Kudos
McMoney

Put your mind to it. YES! You can do this. You can make a firm decision to never smoke again NO MATTER WHAT. You know you can do it. You've quit before. It's one step and then another. You should definitely get a BIG piggy bank and look forward to a trip. But for a while take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. I hope your surgery goes smooth, you heal well, and the surgery has a positive impact on your quality of life. I'll be rooting for you @adrieoc 💛 

- Meriah