cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

krysta

New to this site..quit date is tomorrow!

Like most people i have a lot of reasons I want to quit. I have been smoking since i was 15 (5 years now) and with my two year old looking up to me I think now is the time to finaly buck up and quit. Also my dad passed away of lung cancer last year so i told myself i had a year and i was done. I am having a really hard time and trying to have confidence in myself im just so afraid to fail because it is so important to me. I just joined this site hoping it would help and i am taking commit lozenges which seem to be helping my urges. If anyone has any suggestions for my beginning stages please, im listening! Tomorrow is coming soon and hopefuly i can do this!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
krissy6

Hi Krysta,

Your lucky in one way that you're still young and have only been smoking for 5 years, that does not mean it is any easier , just that you probably haven't done as much harm to your lungs, but many of us have been life-long smokers. We understand your situation and are here for you. Take it one day at a time, if you mess up, so what, start again, just keep trying, that's all any of us can do!
0 Kudos
mizzbflye

Hey Krysta,
I started my quit in June but I have to make it through July right? Im 23 and I know that a smoker is not who I want to be all my life, I want to be a mother, swimmer, dancer, sister, etc.. someone I would be proud of.
So I suggest that you think of all the good you will accomplish from NOT smoking when you have the urges, cravings and what not, just envision your life as a NON smoker and all the benefits that will come with it
That has helped me maintain and I can see the benefits and it has only been 24 days, longer wind in lungs, brightness of my skin and more energy.... so you will have alot more energy to keep up with your 2 year old which would make both of you happy !!
We are here to give support and encourage, when you have to let it out do it here, we understand and we know it is tuff but we are that extra,extra,extra shoulder you lean on and the face you wanna curse out ! LOL
Wishing you much success
peace and blessing
0 Kudos
dgs

I messed up my prior quit dates...I finished and am rereading the Allen Carr book, so I think I can do it this time! Willpower and self discipline and a little help from all of you! Monday, the 21st of July is my quit date. In 2004 I had a major stroke while getting an aneurysm coiled. Last night I just read of a study that found that the coiling procedure doesn't usually end up as successful on smokers. And, chances are, if I wouldn't have been a heavy smoker for 32 years prior to the procedure, maybe I could have avoided the stroke! I live in North Carolina with my daughter, grandson, five dogs and three cats. I'm determined to beat the little monster and I know you all are too! Let's help each other with this battle!
0 Kudos
shonna

I wish you much success on your journey. You can do it, I say you really have to commit. I've quit more than once since I started but only once did I ever truly commit myself and even then it wasn't the deep commitment I've made this time. I used the patch and tried the lozenges. I still have them in my purse but I keep a patch as well. The lozenges make my throat scratchy if I keep them in my mouth for the recommended time. Really commit to those reasons, write them down so that when you crave you can't reason yourself out it. Your reasons will be staring you in the face. Breath deeply and think of all the money you'll be saving! Lots of strength and happiness!
0 Kudos
dgs

Krysta, I just read your inspiring response from Jackie! I'm going to join in on the quit...and hopefully we will follow right along with Jackie! PS: my dad died of kidney cancer, but it spread to his lungs...
0 Kudos
michelle23

so how's it going so far??

I have a 8 y/o who is constantly on me at times it can be very annoying and I want to smoke but it's day 12 for me!! yes still tough but smoke free! If I can do it I'm sure you can too!
0 Kudos
linda-brandon

Hi Krysta Your smart to quit now. I have been smoking for 45 years!!! and regret every year. My quit date is next Sunday. Thanks for starting this discussion. I have read all the replies. Thanks Folks !!! Most seem to have success with the patch so I think that may be the way I go. I've spent a lot of time on the internet getting ideas. Wish me luck
0 Kudos