cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lindyboo

New to the site, any patch users?

Hello from Atlanta! My name is Lindy, and I have been smoking about a pack a day for 10 years... been contemplating quitting the last 3 years. I recently cut back to 10 smokes, then down to 5, and at this point I started using the nicotine step 2 patch (3 days ago). I have taken about 3 puffs off of coworkers cigarettes in the last 3 days, but am committed as of today to puff no more! I just quit my bartending job in exchange for a nanny position that requires me to be smoke free. This definitely increases my chance of success,  but I also feel the patch is necessary while I'm transitioning. So far I've been noticing all of my psychological triggers and it's crazy how deep my addiction runs! The patch seems to wear off after 7 hours, and last night I took it off at dinner time and was fine until I put one on for work the next morning. Anywho, if anyone out there has successfully used the patch, I would love to hear from you... how long did you use it,  at what point did you taper down,  and do you think it eased your withdrawl? 

Thanks for reading, and lots of love to the veteran quitters and my quitting colleages

15 Replies

I misunderstood.

You said you were working on three weeks.

Three weeks of what?

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Of attempting to quit using the patch and my own sheer hard headedness.  Sorry I wasn't clear.

0 Kudos

You can fight quitting or you can accept it.

People who fight it get tired and go back to it still wondering why they can't quit.

Diannnnn

Good point, thank you.

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Update. I finally realized how counterproductive to my goal of quitting smoking with the patch on was. Ok now take it off if I absolutely cannot resist the urge. My quit date is 7/2.

Continued good luck!

Dian

0 Kudos

I used the patch the whole program and maybe an extra 2 weeks. I found I liked the Walmart brand of patches. Cheaper and stuck better! I don't think I could have done it without the patch. It definitely takes the edge off.