cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

amandamarek

New to the block

I guess I'm the same boat as everyone on here.  I smoke cigarettes and i am aware i really need to quit. Smoking to me is a form of stress relief and man it feels so good. Sometimes it's the only reason I want to get out of bed in the mornings. Now don't get me wrong I don't smoke a pack a day.. unless I'm drinking then that's easy to do. I smoke about a half a pack so about 10 cigarettes per day and I've been doing that for 10 years.  My mom has serious health issues from smoking. Her skin is very aged as well, but alot of that is from sun damage as well, at least that's what I tell myself in fear one day I will look like her. Smoker shame has got me bad. None of my work colleagues know that I smoke. I go all day 8 hour shifts and only smoke once on my break. I'm so careful , I place my hair up and remove my sweater. I always wash my hands thoroughly and spray on perfume. Truthfully, I'm scared for them to know. It's a professional atmosphere and I don't want that inhibited my image at work. But I'm ashamed that my addiction has caused me to become this massive liar. That I am incapable of quitting and plan my entire life around my next smoke. I'm new to EX. I've set my quit date for two weeks and I'd love to hear from other real smokers,  what legitimately worked for you to quit? I've tried only switching to vaping and it works for a month or so then my vape goes out or I get a beer and I'm back to smoking. I really really want to do this before it affects my health permanently like it has for my mother. I also want to stop feeling chained to my cigarette pack. I want freedom. I want my own life back. Thank you in  advance for the advice- I will read every comment.

26 Replies
amandamarek

Mary I really like your ideology on tricking yourself sounds like something I may need to do. I'm one of those people who don't like to be told no or have limitations so I think this bargaining with myself may work. Thanks for sharing and I'll be sure to keep you updated

indingrl

Welcome Amanda and CONGRATS on making YOUR OWN decision to be a non smoker! GOOD JOB  setting a goal to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER- gentle hug. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello Amanda---I see the whole EX community is giving you a big hello and letting you know you have come to the BEST support site for quitting smoking. Stay close and we will help you. NEVER think you are incapable of quitting....you CAN do this.....we all did and we are no different from you. To help you get over the myth that smoking helps your stress...I suggest going to whyquit.com and reading the articles there that explain how smoking is actually the cause of your stress rather than the cure.......

Welcome to EX......we are all here for each other!

Jeanmarc19561

Welcome, you've come to a great place to help you along. Every person here knows what your up against and are rooting for you. As a guy who has stopped and started many times over the years I want to add this to the great suggestions already given. The battle is worth it but you have to give it your all. If that means no drinking for awhile, so be it. I would also suggest that you start some kind of exercise program if your up to it. You're making the best decision you can make for your health and your appearance. So as a younger person may say, "You go girl!!"

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

As a reminder email notifications were turned off overnight as part of the data migration. This is just a post to alert some of those who might have missed some comments that occurred while the email notifications were turned off.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Aew1031

Your secret smoking life story sounds so much like mine.  It is exhausting.  

I’m on Day 18 of this recent and final quit and am so happy to have lost the cigarette noose that’s been around my neck for a long time.  Read my blog posts.  Read others’ blog posts.  Keep close to the EX Community while you are struggling.  We have all been through it so we are here for you.

Amy

jsichi

There is no magic to quiting. You either do it or you don't. It's a conscious decision that you make many times a day, People look for excuses to go back to smoking. Those people aren't ready to quit. When you say I'm going to quit, you just have to mean it, no matter how badly it sucks, and it will suck. And then suddenly it won't. Quit when you're ready, but be ready to quit. Good luck!