cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kelii360

New to Ex

Hello everyone. Today is my seventh day as a non smoker. I'm currently using Chantix to help in my quit smoking process as well as getting support from this site. After smoking for 35 years, I thought I'd never be able to quit but most importantly, I thought I'd never WANT to quit. Until recently, I thought I was in good health but then my blood pressure was high and now I'm taking medication to control it. My doctor had advised me years ago to quit smoking but I didn't listen. At my last check up I asked for a referral to a smoking cessation class so I could get a prescription for Chantix. I also enlisted my husband to go with my on my quit smoking journey. He too is smoke free for seven days. We think it's the hardest thing we've ever done but we also know that we can't go back to smoking. We have our moments of strong urges but we talk each other out of giving in. I'm certain these urges will subside once we develop new habits that doesn't involve cigarettes. Until then we just take it one day at a time.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Giulia

Your hardest week is now over. You should be real proud of yourselves! It probably IS the hardest thing any of us can do. And one day at a time is just the way to do it. The urges WILL subside - with time. You can't smoke for 35 years (like I did too), and expect them to go away over night. You have to always watch your back with this Demon. For as long as you still want one, you're still vulnerable.

My mantra is - just say NO, no matter what, to the urges. It's kept me smoke free for 2 years 9 months thus far.

Sounds like you've got a great quit partner at home. Congratulations!
0 Kudos
edith2

Hi Kelii! I had high blood pressure for years and when I smoked, I could actually feel my heart pounding. But I still smoked. Since I quit, my blood pressure has gone back to normal for the first time in decades. Congradulations on being smoke-free for seven days! I no longer have that raspy sound when I take deep breaths and I stopped coughing all the time. You are so right about habits. Quitting is not only putting down the cigarettes, it's also a lifestyle change. No more nicotine caked on your windows and pictures. Your home will smell better along with everything else around you. I think it's great that your husband has quit also.
0 Kudos
edith2

Hi Kelii! I had high blood pressure for years and when I smoked, I could actually feel my heart pounding. But I still smoked. Since I quit, my blood pressure has gone back to normal for the first time in decades. Congradulations on being smoke-free for seven days! I no longer have that raspy sound when I take deep breaths and I stopped coughing all the time. You are so right about habits. Quitting is not only putting down the cigarettes, it's also a lifestyle change. No more nicotine caked on your windows and pictures. Your home will smell better along with everything else around you. I think it's great that your husband has quit also.
0 Kudos
rj_

Congrats on the quit,
keep it going by never taking another puff, not one puff ever, NTAP NOPE that is all it takes to succeed forever one day at a time.
Education + determination = success
I found my education at whyquit.com
determination comes from within
success is measured one day at a time forever.
Regards, RJ...Free at last 450 days after 32+yrs.
0 Kudos