cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kelly4

New to Become an EX

Hi Moms,
I'm a 33 year old mom of 3 children. A 12 year old girl and 2 boys, age 9 and 2. I have been smoking since I was a teenager. The longest quit I had was for 7 months during my last pregancy. I enjoyed not smoking but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing from my life. I started smoking just 3 days after he was born.
I need to quit. Since my daughter is becoming a teenager, I need to set a proper example for her, and I would like to live long enough to see my kids grow up. Problem is, deep down, I don't really want to quit. I still enjoy smoking and I can't imagine how I can live my life without smoking. I guess I'm afraid of the unknown. How can I make myself want to do this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
darla-young

Hi my name is Darla. Your inbox was the first one I read. I am new to becoming an ex. This is actually my first day. I am actually scared and nervous. I don't no how to do this and stick to it. I have a daughter, she is almost 2, I want to be around for her more than anything, but this habit almost makes me feel like it's more important. I really enjoy smoking as well, and even with all the horrific facts out there about smoking I still light up. Why?? My fiance asked me whole hearted to please quit, and I did try but not hard enough I guess. I lied and he thinks that I have quit for a little while now. He just doesn't understand so I can't really talk to him about this addiction or at least try to help him understand that this process takes time and for some many attempts. I need the same question answered as well How can I make myself do this?
0 Kudos
kim-clark

Hi Darla,
How is it going? Have you picked a quit date yet?? Can I ask you to do something? (I know I am a total stranger but I am asking from my heart). I was on the Today Show 1/30/09 as one of 3 parents quitting smoking. I was where you are especially when my kids were young enough that I knew I could get away with it. When I dated my husband - he said me or cigs. I quit but because it wasn't for MY reason I eventually picked it back up and took the rath.
I would like you to see my clip from the show. Go to todayshow.com, click on "health" on the left column and then scroll down to "More Health Stories from Today" and then find: Parents vow to kick the habit. If I could help one Mom not cry down the road it will all be worth it. We will be back on March 5th. And by the way, the laser is amazing!!! One treatment!! very calm and very under control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Write me anytime.
Kim
0 Kudos
teresa7

Hi, I saw you on the Today show and wish you lots of luck, you are amazing for doing that!
I lived in NY and would be in the crowd while Al, Katie, Ann and Matt were reporting. Fun stuff!
My question to you is did you do it for yourself or significant other this time? My husband won't kiss me even if I've had only one smoke on any given day yet I now will smoke up to a pack a day. He is so critical of me. This makes it harder for me but I do believe I can quit for myself alone. Did you try Chantrix or just cold therapy? Does insurance cover the cold therapy for you or not?
I am curious why it was so hard on you deep down to you see you cry or TV, it must have been so very hard for you. God Bless YOU and stay focused!
Mother Teresa - parsonsteresa@sbcglobal.net
0 Kudos