cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

beccalynn35

New here. Just trying to get support for my quit

I chose March 13th to be my quitdate. I've tried quitting like 5 times in the last month but cave around the 4th day, always in the evening time. 

I am on disability but do clean a couple houses a week during the day, in the evening I'm tired and bored with a lot of anxiety.

If the evenings were as easy as the mornings and day time I'd have it made ( not that they are easy, but my attitude about not smoking is better).

I am bipolar, with an anxiety disorder and ptsd. So I feel like this screws me up too

I also don't have much real life support, no friends to call who get it. My partner smokes but she does so away from me. Only smokes outside or in her office. If I smoke this is also where I smoke but avoid these areas when I quit. 

Any, all advice is welcome. Also, I don't know if you can get friends here or if not, but if so I would love some

Going to write down everytime I smoke starting tomorrow with what is triggering me. 

Sorry for the book lol

31 Replies
JustSharon

Hello Becca, and WELCOME! Sounds to me like your business during the day helps to keep you more free from smoking. Any chance you can find  something in the evenings that is relaxing, yet keeps your hands busy? Do you crochet or knit or maybe can learn? You speak of being bipolar and PTSD, are you being treated for these conditions? If not, it could make quitting more difficult, but I'm no doctor. I am bipolar though and it is under control, so that without horrendous mood swings and anger, quitting smoking was the only fight I had going on. I'm now quit 114 days! It's doable as you will see by testament of all the new friends you will acquire from here. I hope you become a quitter just like the rest of us. You can message me any time.

Sharon

YoungAtHeart

The folks here will become like family through this journey.  Let them in - share was is happening in your life, how you are feeling, your challenges and successes.  We will be with you every step of the way.

I am happy to hear you have read   Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”   As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.  No aid is going to quit FOR you - but if you believe one will help, it will.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.

Nancy

beccalynn35

Wow, I got a lot of responses! I read all the links you all sent me, I read allen carrs book a couple weeks ago. 

It helped but I'm still smoking so I missed something according to him. 

I am on meds for my bipolar, fighting some depression right now, but it isn't bad... I just want to avoid people and sleep a lot. 

Ummm... I forgot what other questions there were lol. 

I do know how to crochet, so maybe that will help in the evenings. 

Thanks for all your responses

Aptaidene

Hi!!. Congratulations on setting your quit date. It's hard to start but if you can pass the limit of 2 weeks you'll feel better. Read this book it helps!!  I have had the same problem, and was really hard for me at the beginning, i remember the anxiety problem that i have had during that days, i remember how many problems i have had that i even didn't expected to have and spend so many time on hgh forums trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Now i feel much better, still have little problems, but i think that the hardest thing is to begin.

bonnie.s

I quit 1/28.  I just made my mind up this was the last time I was gonna go through the hell of withdraws.  I understand having a partner that smokes makes it that much harder to quit.  Thank goodness my husband stopped with me this time.  Stay close to this site.  The support here is huge!  I owe my life to this site and the amazing people I've met here.

Whimsy3715

Hi, Becca! Welcome!!

I can't add anymore than what everyone else said before me. I just want you to know I am here for support! Thomas3.20.2010‌ had a suggestion for you that REALLY helped me and that was to clean out my vehicle. Like, detail clean. When I got done with it, I not only felt happy & accomplished for having a cleaner vehicle, but it felt like my soul was cleansed at the same time because I kept telling myself I would never smoke another cigarette in the van after going through all that work!

My original quit date had been set for March 1, but within 2 days of joining the community, I put them down for good. (Disclaimer: I am also on Wellbutrin so that has helped me combat the worst of the cravings which are starting to come farther and farther apart. Lifesavers Mint-o-green breathmints help.)

You can do this! You have the support here behind you and though we may be far apart, we *totally* get it.

-Jessica

11 DOF

Strudel

Welcome to the site! You are in the perfect place for support! Be sure to check out the Carr book - http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf  and stick around here - and I promise, you can do this! I smoked for 40 years - I came here, did the reading and got the support. And - I quit! So - I know you can too! 

TerrieQuit

Hello, beccalynn35 I am so glad you are here! Tere are some great suggestions and reading material above. Here is a couple of links that might help you get to know the site better:

Welcome to our Community  and My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

Welcome to the EX family!  ~Terrue~

cbgerber

Hi!  My quite date is February 28th.  I have been listening to the tape "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" and I feel it is helping me cleanse my mind of some old false facts which could make it easer for me to quit.  I wish you lots of luck and courage as you wait for your quit date.  

elvan

Welcome to EX, the best advice I can give you is to stay close to the site, read how others have made it through one day at a time...some really dark days.  Smoking will not fix anything, remember that and promise yourself that you will ask yourself what will change if you smoke, what will get better?  Nothing, not NOW, not EVER.  I was on here every morning and night and many times in between...I smoked for 47 years but thanks to this site, I have been smoke free for over 3 years and if I can do it, ANYONE can!