cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

shell3

New & Terrified

Hi all, I'm Shell. I just turned 26 about a week ago. I've been smoking heavily since I was 14 years old. I guess the last time I remember NOT smoking would be when I was playing with Barbies. I really don't remember. All I know is that my family has a history of cancer, and I've been threatened with health issues recently. I suppose I'm scared enough to consider quitting now, even though I really don't want to. I'm stubborn and really selfish about smoking. Tough love never worked with me, nor have medical warnings. I don't really know if I can do this. I'd like to try to ask some of this community about medicines like Chantix to get an opinion on what I should try. If anyone has advice or suggestions please reply. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
shell3

Thanks hun, I appreciate your reply. I have tried Wellbutrin too, for depression, and it just seemed to make me gain weight, so I quit that. I don't know about Chantix or anything else but I guess it depends on the person too. I'm gonna have to spend alot of money to save money here! lol
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Anything is possible ....

Any Habit can be changed.....

Any Addiction can be broken ....

All types of advice are available .....

You Can Win This Fight !
0 Kudos
shell3

Thank you Cindy - you're an inspiration. In only 3 weeks you're doing so well. I hope I can do it too. I figure trying the gum, patch, etc will be cheaper in the long run anyway, so I'll try all of them if I have to. Good luck to you.
0 Kudos

We are all here for similar reasons. Just reach out and someone will hear you. Good luck. I know you can quit if you want to. I have and I feel great for it. The support you get here could be esssential to your success, so don't be afraid to ask for anything!
0 Kudos
shell3

thanks hun - i think i'm gonna try chantix & see what happens. good luck to you (and me) lol
0 Kudos
Jaded

Hi and Welcome Shell,

I am 29 days smoke free and used Chantix to help me. However, I am no longer taking it but can say it was a HUGE aid in getting me where I am. I would recommend it to anyone that is serious about quitting, it has to be something you really want to do. Just remember quitting isn't something you are doing TO you but FOR you!!

Lots of luck!! 😃
0 Kudos
shell3

Hi Jaded thanks for your reply - question for you.. I have an appointment with my Dr next week to get Chantix.. what exactly did you experience with it? Does it make you physically sick when you smoke while on it? That's what I've heard but I wanted to hear from someone who has tried it.
Thanks
0 Kudos
kimoe

I can't speak for myself, but my mother in law smoked for probably nearly 40 years and she did Chantrix and hasn't smoked at all. She said she still had some cravings, but that this was the easiest time she ever quit. Good Luck!!!
0 Kudos