cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

New Quitters Check In!

Hi!  I noticed there are several new quitters this week so I thought we could support you all in one place and you could each get to know your fellow quitters and support one another.

Are you new in your quit?  Did you choose to quit just before the holidays or did you quit on 1/1/2018?  Are you less than 30 days into your quit?

Let everyone know how you are doing!  You can check in here to support each other and get support from the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=37122da5-d471-4574-9...‌ or those who have some DOF (days of freedom) behind them!

Share the victories and the struggles.  You never know how it may touch someone.

294 Replies
MichelleDiane

Hi Rob H.  Welcome to the community.  Seeing that you have been in the Army National Guard already tells me that you needed to make a commitment.  That's exactly what you do when you made the decision to quit smoking.  One day at a time, hour, minute, and even second.  We are cheering you on as we go through our journeys.

-Michelle

(Do a lot of reading on this site and you will be able to keep your commitment to yourself)

darnPainter

Welcome here Rob. You will have a lot of support on this site. Glad your willing to be a part of. It helped me those first few weeks of hell, and anytime I felt like venting. Because nicotine withdrawal, physical, then mental, is no joke. It's not a habit as you called it, It's an addiction. Yes, I didn't like to be called an addict. Good news is, when we finally admit we are addicts, it's down hill from there. Anyway, read the "Nicotine addiction 101" page on this site and become as informed about the disease as possible. One day at a time.        John 76 dof  

Sandi4

hopsquatch89

Welcome Rob!  You've made an amazing choice for yourself and your family.  I am super impressed that you have decided to leave nicotine behind at a young age.  I started smoking around 13 too and it took me 40 years to decide to make this one, my final quit.

In the beginning, staying quit is tough but it's possible as is evidenced here by all the long time EX'ers. Since you're around smokers that will be an added temptation but come here first.  Title your post "HELP" and we'll come running to support you. Read, read, read all the info that the ELDERS have shared with us.  They've been where we are and have covered almost any scenario you can imagine.  Cravings will come, so be prepared for them.  Plan what you'll do when they arise.   Also, remember your WHY or in your case your THREE WHYS, who are going to be so very proud of their Daddy for choosing life.

Sandi

hopsquatch89

Thank you, Sandi!

0 Kudos
shashort

Hi everyone stopping by to let you know we all are cheering you on. YOU CAN do this quitting thing by taking it one step and day at a time. Welcome hopsquatch89  to the community. Feel free to give us a shout if you need help. NOPE (not one puff ever) will get you to freedom.

pastedImage_2.jpg

gmcculloch

Checking in. Day 6 after going cold turkey. This is the first day I didn't think of a cigarette until I saw the email from EX. Doing okay so far. Better than I expected actually. In prior posts, I noted that for me getting off seems to be the easy part. Even though the Nicotine is out of my system, I tend to have hard times where the cravings get bad again weeks or months after I have quit. It is those times I am gearing up to overcome with the help of all the great people here. 

I started smoking at 12 years old and am now 56. I quit on my 40th birthday and stayed off for just over 10 years. Some bad life experiences and I started up again at 50. Since then I have been off and on, quitting for up to 9 months. 

What is different this time is this site and all the education I now have. I thought I knew what to do before. I have learned so much more since being here. Good luck to all and keep checking in. We will do it!

BigCountry78

Hello. I’m a new quitter. Today is day 1. I’m excited and nervous about this journey but will be worth it. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome.  You should keep a journal for today as a record of the beginning of your quit journey.  Add the tag "the_day_i_quit" to the post so you can look back at what your first day was like in the future.  Congrats on making a positive change!

BigCountry78 wrote:

Hello. I’m a new quitter. Today is day 1. I’m excited and nervous about this journey but will be worth it. 

EX Community Admin Team
MichelleDiane

Welcome BigCountry78.  Congratulations on deciding to quit smoking.  I am rather a newbie here, but have not smoked in a month.  It had it's challenges to get to this day, but it was doable.  With the help of the people in this community and reading the informative articles and blogs I am inspired to continue on a daily basis.  And that is the way to do this.  One day at a time.  One hour at a time.  One minute at a time.  Or even a second at a time.  You will gain so much from being here and are giving yourself the greatest present in the world.  Welcome.

-Michelle

Giulia

Howdy BigCountry78‌  Keep the excitement, ignore the nervousness.  The more knowledge you have about the journey ahead, the better prepared you'll be for the twists and turns of it all.  So read and gain as much knowledge as you can. Best of EX is a good place to start.  Welcome!