cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

New Quitters Check In!

Hi!  I noticed there are several new quitters this week so I thought we could support you all in one place and you could each get to know your fellow quitters and support one another.

Are you new in your quit?  Did you choose to quit just before the holidays or did you quit on 1/1/2018?  Are you less than 30 days into your quit?

Let everyone know how you are doing!  You can check in here to support each other and get support from the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=37122da5-d471-4574-9...‌ or those who have some DOF (days of freedom) behind them!

Share the victories and the struggles.  You never know how it may touch someone.

294 Replies
indingrl

Congrats keep on keeping stay quit TOGETHER we can do this! Excellent self care!   

Need to be.....that is awesome! I am.smszed how many of us are "gym goers or into yoga. Only 2 days for me. Has not been bad so far.

susan_m

Congratulations on two weeks!!!  I had that chest-tightening sensation when an intense crave was triggered, but I quit cold turkey. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to check with your doc. It's likely that this sensation (along with chest and headache) is a result of withdrawal and/or your body healing from nicotine.  Speaking of lungs, your breathing should be improving greatly after two weeks without smoking. 

Keep stacking up those days!

NeedToBe

susan_m‌, thanks for the suggestion abt consulting doc. I have a stress test scheduled for next week that will shed light should there be an issue.

I am finding that my breathing while not noticeable easier, I am not wheezing as much (especially when I go to bed at night).

Thanks again

susan_m

EXCELLENT!  Please keep us posted - sending wishes for a good visit with the Dr.  

JACKIE1-25-15

Make sure you are staying hydrated.  Drinking lots of water can make a difference in how you feel physically..

NeedToBe

JACKIE1-25-15‌, I had read that fruit juice (especially cranberry) was very good which is what I've been consuming the most of. Something about keeping your sugar level up so you don;t get too wrung out.

Thanks for the tip!

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes cranberry is good also.  Since I watch my sugar intake, I do not drink a lot of fruit juice.  Water worked for me.  You have fine what works best for you.  Good job on coming here and being engaged. 

desiree465

I've tried quitting several times over the years and have experienced that chest tightening sensation along with coughing. I've heard other people say the same thing. 

darnPainter

I experienced all those symptoms and understood them to be withdrawal. The first week was tough but it got easier just like the long timers on this site said. The most important part for me was to pay close attention to the lie my addictive mind used to convince me I was missing something. That turned out to be the psychological part of my addict mind. I decided those so called cravings were bullshit which made it easier to watch  in a detached way those silly little thoughts. This practice took the power out of them and they passed. I know something is working because I have had a ton of excuses to smoke since Late November when I learned my Mom was very sick with pneumonia from smoking all her life. I was present for her transition on the 22nd and didn't find it necessary to step out every 15 minutes to kill myself. And I didn't use the excuse that I didn't have a Christmas this year because of it. Im still free today. Not totally sure why, but I have a feeling it has to do with verbally declaring to live, and really meaning it!!! John 49 dof. One day at a time.

Stay close to your commitment and u will succeed NeedTobe