cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mstic2000

Hi, I'm a 51 yr old male that has been smoking since 16. I've enjoyed smoking but now it is time for me to quit. I smoke 2 packs a day and I need to quit because of health reasons. I have shortness of breath at times. I'm going cold turkey. I've tried the patch, the gum, the lozengers, and the Chantix made me sick. The longest I quit on my own was 10 days and then I found a reason to start again. I think with this support network I will be able to quit without the aide of a nicotine supplement.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wheezer2

You can do it.  I've started 21 yrs ago and  quit once for 1 yr then started back again now trying to quit again.  The important thing is you are quiting.  Even if you are set back,quit again and again and again.... You will quit I believe in you but only if you stay in the mind set of quiting and being a non-smoker.

0 Kudos
bigekm

hi i am 54 years old and i have c.o.p.d and my husband has it to we can not breath please help tried chantix made me sick

0 Kudos
michelle110

I just quit Monday (1/4/2010) Honestly, I can't believe I've lasted this long!  However, I am using the patch/step down program.  I feel like such a junkie!  I really, really, want to smoke on one hand, and on the other, when my "right" brain is thinking, I never want to see another cigarette.  When I was a little girl I would watch my mom get ready to go out on the town, she would sit and smoke and do her makeup and hair, I thought she was so glamorous, now I keep telling myself that having an oxygen tank and COPD and emphzima (sp?) is not really all that glamorus...I joined this site for support, and I will do my best to support any of you out there.

I am glad I found this!

thanks!

michelle

0 Kudos

You can do this...yes, you can!    Be positive and definitely post on here...it's helped me a lot the past few days.   I'm only on Day 5, so I'm not a long time quitter, but I made a statement today to one of my bosses, that I hope is true.   I told him "I made it to Day 5, that's it.  No turning back."      And that's how I feel...really strong today.   Hope I stay that way!   Good luck to you!

0 Kudos
smp101

I am also 51 and I have been smoking since i was 12. I'm with you in this. I have just reached a point where smoking doesn;t fit my life anymore. For folks are age, I'm still quite young in my own eyes, smoking was not a problem when we were young. It was cool, it helped me fit in, life was a party. Now life is slowing me down a little and I want to be around to enjoy it as long as possible. Smoking just doesn't fit anymore. Never really tried to quit before, made a few half assed attempts. I set it up this time to succeed. 38 years of smoking is a long time. I don't remember life without smoking.

Iam on my third full day and actually feel OK. Watching my thoughts and trying not to let the voices manipulate me. I would love to have a few puffs, then I think about how bad I would feel about myself afterwards. That's what keeps me going. I am worth more than this. I value myself and no longer choose to have a substance be in control of me. I hope anyway.

Very impressed with this site and all the wonderful people and support here.

Sure do wish we had spell check here:)

0 Kudos