cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

meesh2

New Here.. Really New Here

Hi.. Michelle here.. 42 and having a very hard time.  Can someone tell me how these forums and blogs work.. I know nothing about them...

I am very frustrated at this point.. I just had my blood pressure checked and it was very high..Last month and the previous months.. it was perfect.. now that I have semi-quit.. (1 so far today) my blood pressure is high.. uggggghhhhhhh... I'm very stressed and really want to go and have a smoke.......

0 Kudos
4 Replies
awsma1

Things that have helped me, Nico gum, excersize, sleep,deep breathing.....

0 Kudos

Hi Michelle! WELCOME! As for the forums and blogs and so forth - I'm 52 so  I had NEVER done that kind of thing before in my life!  What I found out is that you set up my page for yourself the best you can and get out of teh forums as a main source - I just visit them once in a while and some people never come over here!  then you go to groups if you have a special issue like for you health related or interests like music or faith based etc.  When you blog you are telling the whole become an EX world what is happening to you either to share an idea, info, ask for or give support - just about anything - just remember that it is on a billboard that 100s of people are reading!  The upside is that a call for help doesn't go unanswered like it can back in the lonely forums and sadly sometimes even in the groups!  I suggest you read, read ,read not just the blogs but the comments and listen to people that have months and even years on their quit!  You may not like what they have to say but there's a reason that they are the long termers!

I'm sorry that you are having high blood pressure problems!  Smoke related illnesses can pop up like mushrooms seemingly overnight!  And boy are they stressful!  But if you smoke or don't smoke the stress will still be there!  Smoke covers up stress - it doesn't relieve it!  Also, the single most important thing you can do for your high blood pressure is to QUIT SMOKING ASAP!  people with high blood pressure who continue to smoke could have a stroke or heart attack!  I'm NOT talking 10-20 years from now - I'm talking about today or next week!  Breakinthechains was I think 42 when she had a stroke!  

Bottom line:  QUIT SMOKING ASAP!  Quit for LIFE not DEATH! N.O.P.E. each and every day NO MATTER WHAT!

0 Kudos
a-prince-girl

Smoking will not lower your blood pressure. As a matter of fact it increases it. Hang in there and try whatever you can think of to quit. I have high blood pressure too and I quit today because not only do I have high blood pressure but more importantly I have COPD and it's no fun. So what ever you can do to find your moe joe to quit, do it now please. Good luck to you!

0 Kudos
mcirish

I am 42 as well ... and have been smoking on and then on since I was about 24. Started as a social smoker and became an "I just got up 5 minutes ago/first thing out of bed..." smoker.  uck.

Have quit more times than I can count ... have thrown countless packages of cigs in trash cans in dramatic "quits"... only to go to the store... sometimes just hours later to purchase another pack...

Yesterday threw the last two into trash and so it has been almost 24 hours.... I haven't blown up yet ... but I truly dislike the "wound" up feeling I get.

HAnG IN THERE! We can do this!

0 Kudos