cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

shannan3

Never say Never

I find my problem with quitting is the idea that I can NEVER have another cigarette. I am the type that is going to have to take it one day at a time. I have quit three times and I'm ready for this time to stick. Haven't set a quit day yet, but I know I need to. I'm here looking for support!!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
edith2

I can totally relate to what you're saying Shannon. This is my fourth quit. You don't have to say that you'll NEVER have another cigarette. I don't say that either. All we get is a daily reprieve. I will never be "cured." But I can tell you after taking it one day at a time for over 4 years, I hope I never smoke again. It feels great to be a non-smoker and I love the benefits too. I didn't set a quit day. I didn't want to go through the anxiety of that day coming up. I cut way back on my cigarettes and didn't enjoy smoking like I once did. I quit on spur-of-the-moment. I went and bought a box of lozenges instead of buying two cartons of cigarettes. I had a half a pack left, and I threw it in the dumpster where I couldn't reach it. I was scared to death, but I just thought, "ok, here I go!" The good thing is that you won't be going through this alone. You'll get alot of support here. There's a gal here who just quit and I love her suggestions! Here they are:

"I smoked for 35 years and have been smoke free since October 16, 2008. 66 days on the day that I found this site. Fortunately, I have not experienced the struggles that I had the last '50' attempts, however, I know that I can not let my guard down.

I have found some things to assist, such as:

A 'Goodbye to Cigarettes Letter'

A 'Quit Smoking Kit' (it fits in my purse), that contains items such as breath mints (because my breath is fresh), a crouton (because my taste buds have come back), a nasty cigarette butt (sealed in plastic, but nasty just the same), a quarter, the letter and..... other items that remind me of how nasty it is, the improvement to my health and appearance and the other advantages - of not smoking.

A 'chain link of paperclips', that I add to each day that I do not smoke

I never think I can't, I think I choose not to

Hopefully I will remain strong and I believe this site will be very beneficial to me.

Thank you everyone!

Annabelle"
0 Kudos
rj_

Shannan, dont try to think about being quit forever, quit for today, success is measured daily one day at a time,
Never Take Another Puff and you have quit forever, it;s that simple,
You will find long term quitters will say one day at a time,
I personally know that I will never smoke again, but I pledge that to myself daily.
RJ ... Free at Last for 463 days after 32+yrs, by choosing daily to NTAP NOPE
0 Kudos
hwc

So don't quit.

Just stop smoking and taking nicotine long enough to break the active addiction. Say two weeks minimum, ideally a month or two. Just get to the point where you have control over the decision instead of the addiction dictating to you. Then, when that date arrive (say after a month with no nicotine), decide which way you want to go:

a) Smoke no more cigarettes.

b) Go back to smoking all the cigarettes again (7300 in the first year if you are a pack a day smoker).

You don't get the option of smoking one or a few because we know that's not how it works if you decide you like being a nicotine addict better than an ex-smoker. But, you certainly have choice to smoke or not -- which is not a choice you completely have right now with the addiction dictating your choices.
0 Kudos
jennie3

You can do it !
0 Kudos