cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Grammy25

Need help with anxiety

What to do with the anxiety? Got down to 5 cigarettes and major anxiety started so now I am back to 20; but was at 35 cigarettes when I started! Want to get back to 5 or less (would like to be at 0)!! Please help 

22 Replies
Grammy25

Thank you for the suggestion

0 Kudos

go to Newbie Quitters‌ and read some there.  smoking has been our best friend and held our hands during good times and bad.  It calmed us when we were mad, frustrated, lonely, bored.  Heck, the thought of surviving a day without smoking terrifies most of us at first.  Treat this as a science experiment.  You're smoking at this point.  Start tracking your cigarettes (Track Your Tobacco and Identify Your Triggers | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX ).  every time you want to light up, log them in here.  And I mean, every single time you flick that lighter.  That allows you time to stop for a second and think about what you're lighting up for.  I was a chain smoker.  I lit up from the time I rolled out of bed until the time I went to sleep.  I never had any kind of substantial quit under my belt.  but because of this site and the boatload of knowledge I came away with, I've now been quit for over 2 1/2 years.  In my case, I had to understand what I was dealing with.  I did this day in and day out for 43 years.  I was born in the late '50s and smoking entered my life in the early '70s.  I developed quite the relationship with it.  It filled the void.  Now being quit, I've learned how to cope with life on life's terms differently, but it took some homework on my part.

Poke around on member's profile pages on here.  Click on the content tab and read what they have written.  We're all smokers helping other smokers along the way.  If you need help with something, you can message one of us on here through your inbox.  We're always willing to help out.  Anytime you need help, reach out.  We'll be there to pick you up, dust you off, and push you along.  the main thing to remember is read, read, and read.  Learn about what you're fighting against.  It isn't just as simple as breaking a habit like biting your nails.  it's not easy but if you dig your heels in and commit yourself.  you can do it......... you really can

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you so much for sharing

This was really helpful

0 Kudos

and if cold turkey terrifies you, then start with the patch.  I tried to quit cold turkey and it just wasn't for me.  But tracking your cigarettes and understanding when and why you use them is important

Grammy25

Thank you

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

We miss smoking because it is an addiction. In quitting, it's all about having faith in taking it one day at a time until we relearn what we once knew, that nothing in life requires a cigarette. 

Staying busy is common too---walking, reading, watching favorite programs...but above all else allow yourself the truth that you can learn not to smoke and LOVE it. Yes you can.

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you

0 Kudos
IrishRose

First, I want to say to you....   Take what you need, and leave the rest.

Weening yourself from cancer sticks can be beneficial when you are preparing to quit.  To me, your anxiety level is all over the map, because the cancer sticks have literally taken over your entire thought process.  With you cutting back and then allowing yourself extra cancer sticks, your body is totally confused, not to mention the self-control mechanism of your brain saying, "What the hell is going on."  You are allowing the cancer sticks to occupy far too much of your time and your thinking process. 

Why do you want to quit smoking?  Make a list of the reasons you want to quit.  Find a commitment to quit.  Set a realistic date as to when you are going to quit, and it should be sooner than later.  Then, start weening yourself away from the cancer sticks, but do not lose track of that quit date.  As that quit date gets closer, start cleaning up your smoking areas, getting rid of ash trays and so on.

You could spend the rest of your life weening yourself from cancer sticks, or you can prepare to just stop smoking on your quit date.  If you choose to honor your commitment and your quit date, you can then begin that journey of remaining smokefree with a lot less anxiety and a better life for your body.

There is an abundance of help, support and love on this site, so you will not be alone in your journey.

((((hug)))) for you.

Irish Rose      

Grammy25

Thank you

This is very helpful

0 Kudos
IrishRose

0 Kudos