cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

2278mf

Need help to stop smoking

Is there anything I can use to stop cravings?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s 2278mf 

I am not sure you can stop an actually crave, but you can stay busy so you can get through one without picking up the smokes...I am sure you can add to this...but here is a list ... /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=d...  Be sure to keep close to the support site...I found encouraging others on this journey helped me forget about my crave.  Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 275 DOF 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Most people have cravings when they quit smoking. The idea is to get through them without having to smoke. You have to find ways to distract and be mindful of what is going on with you.  If you would hang out here  and use the search magnifying glass top right corner.  Put in the keyword and read the results.  Part of the process is educating yourself about nicotine addiction.I was advised to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info which was very helpful to me is  www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  To get help on navigating the site go to. Community Help‌.  Make quitting smoking your number one priority.

/blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2015/07/09/what-is-your-crave-buster?sr=search&searchId=ddb4891d-c589-4996...

elvan

Keep in mind that they will get weaker and come less frequently if you don''t dwell on them and give them power.  I remember wondering if I would EVER stop thinking about smoking or rather about QUITTING.  My husband is a recovering alcoholic and a former smoker, I asked him what I could do.  He told me to get down on my knees and ask God to remove the mental obsession.  I didn't have a whole lot of faith that it was going to work but I was desperate.  He said I might have to do it more than once and that it was important that I get down on my knees.  I did it, I think I had to repeat it once but I definitely felt differently from how I felt before that.  It DID get easier and I have been able to keep a solid quit for over 5 1/2 years.

Welcome to EX, stick around, stay close to the site, reach out like you just did.

Ellen

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Some of us use NRT's. I use the patch and, for the 1st week, lozenges. I have to warn you though, there is no miracle pill that takes away cravings. You have to be determined and, yes, I use a lot of prayer.

Connie

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

As already said, I don't believe you can totally eliminate having cravings.  You've already gotten some suggested readings to help get through the cravings.  Aids can help take the edge off, but you still have to do the work.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.  Don't let the fear of having cravings prevent you from quitting.  You can do it -- the quitters on this site are proof of that.

Barb

2278mf

Still working on cravings

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Have you quit already?   For me keeping busy was the answer.  I didn't stop going.   I worked around the house, exercised, etc.  At times, I would just walk out the door and walk a couple of blocks.  I spend a lot of time on this site also.  If I'd come here and read/post the craving would pass in the meantime.  I also relied on Sour Patch Kids and chewing on straws.  Everyone is different.  You have to do what works for you. 

Barb 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

2278mf wrote:

Still working on cravings

How are things going?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team