cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karthik

Need help to quit!!

I;ve been trying to quit smoking since long and all I could manage was just 2 days without cig..

I've tried everything.. throwing off the pack after jus one cig... and then i'll buy one more.. not taking cig to work and end up bumming one from a colleague.. insulting myself after the cig tat breaks the will power.. nicorette.. quit smoking books.. everything..

My prob is.. when i quit.. i end up bumming from another person or go to the shop nearby and buy a pack... how to not do tat.. my self esteem goes really low during that time but cudnt avoid.. i tell to myself, i have not smoked for long and i deserve one.. need to stop.. please help!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fwdbeauty

Have you tried chantix? or the patch and wellbutrin together?  you have to really want it bad to quit to stay quit,  I am going on 3 days with out one and Ive learned that you dont need the willpower you have to want to quit and get healthier and not smell like an ashtray anymore lol make a pros and cons list to start off with. read smokeworm website and try the quitsmokingjournal.com they help also with support. there are so many stories of others and dealing with smoking and how to cope with the cravings.

Good luck

0 Kudos
dragulae

I had a similar issue. Your self esteem gets pretty low, and you cannot stop bumming cigarettes, or buy a pack of cigarettes.

Ok, to stop buying cigarettes do not carry any cash or credit cards, or bank cards. Only have enough cash to get a snack, and thats it. Take your lunch with you for a few days until you get the quit smoking habit under control.

To quit bumming cigarettes from your colleagues, tell them you are pursuing a lifestyle change that does not include nicotine or cigarettes. Ask them not to give you any cigarettes, and say no if you ask. This will force you to either buy a pack, in which case you dont have enough money available.

To help with your self esteem, go to a gym or find an activity that you can do with other people. Making new friends is both rewarding and exciting, and going to the gym will help you regain any confidence you have. Also, working out will keep the weight off as well.

I hope these tips will help you to kick the habit for good. Let me know how it goes. I'm on week 2 so far, and cant wait to say I'm on month 2.

0 Kudos