cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tarakrovich

Need help from Chantix users...

This is my first post here this quit and need some advice from anyone who has used/is successfully using Chantix. Today, I am celebrating 21 days (3 weeks!) of being smoke free and have used the Chantix plan since the week before my quit date of January 2nd. I have had my struggles, but this is the longest I have ever made it in my 14 years of smoking! I feel really good about my success and the long term impact it will have on my family and my life. So, what's the problem? In the past week, I have sunk deeper and deeper into such a depressed state I cannot stand myself. I feel like I am sitting on a pitty pot about everything going on in my life and am absolutely miserable. I am on the verge of tears what seems like every minute and would be happier just holing myself away in bed for awhile. I am trying to put a smile on for everyone around me, but hate the way I am feeling inside. I am typically a very outgoing and upbeat person, so this just totally isn't me. I don't know what to do, though. I feel like I almost want to stop taking the meds to stop feeling this, but am petrified that if I do, I will go back to smoking. It seems to be a lose, lose situation. I tried to call my doctor and the jerk is in London for 2 weeks. Anyone have a similar experience and any advice on the best thing to do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
torrie

I have heard of this, if never experienced it. I have no advice for you but you are doing a wonderful job! You are a great person! Keep telling yourself that it is the drugs that are making you feel this way and it will get better. Get ahold of your doctor as soon as you can.

0 Kudos
Rick_M

Tara, sounds like a down time after all the hoopla of quitting. The first few successful weeks of not smoking it is like you are on a high and you are getting all the atta girls and pats on the back. When the novelty wears off after a few weeks and it is like, OK you quit what else is new but you are still holding strong and dealing with the day to living and still not smoking and it still is a challenge.  I had the same problem after 4 or 5 weeks along with feeling lethargic. I finally came out of it after a few weeks.

You might want to experiment, maybe 1/2 a pill in morning and another 1/2 later in the day. I was terrible about taking my meds for many weeks. Many days I only took 1 pill instead of the two (duh) and I never felt any different. I will put in you as a friend if you want and if I can be of anymore help let me know.

Three weeks is a big deal, you have done well and worked hard to get to this day, believe me I know. Do not smoke, you have worked to hard to get 3 weeks and a smoke will not make anything better, it will only make you feel worse. Hang on..........It will get easier

0 Kudos
susan96

Tara, Congratulations on being smoke free......  I am right there with you, same start date, same Chantix.....  same starting to feel really down......   I am turning to excercise.....    more than I have been doing prior..... it  is really helping.......   and this week I started cutting my pills in half..... I take one half in the am, the other half about dinner time....... I can't tell any different and my doctor says it's reall smart just to maintain at this point.......    I am going to make it and so are you !!!

Think positive, stay busy, get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, and excercise.......     Lordy, have you smelled a person after they smoke lately ???  I can't believe I used to smell like an ash tray......    NEVER AGAIN !!!

Best of luck to you......

0 Kudos
tina79

I have done chantix before and felt the same, but i had to tell myself that it was the medicine.  I knew it was the meds.  I too am happy, upbeat and outgoing.  But if you are really feeling out of sorts you really need to see a dr ASAP.  This medicine messes with you head and if you can realize its the medicine that makes you feel this way and that your life is truely not falling apart you will make it.  Good Luck

0 Kudos