cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Suzinut

Need help! SOS!

I am so disappointed in myself...over the last 3 days i had 7 cigs!  Had almost 50 days!  I dont want to go back!  Please!  Dear elders!  Esp those who almost went back please give me advice!  Yell at me!  Do whatever u have to do...help me not to go back!

Tags (1)
37 Replies

Oh wow. I think I didn’t shut that door to the smoking. I’m on day 20. The thought of smoking still comes to me. I do try to let it just pass me by thinking of something else and most of the time the smoking thought leaves me but sometimes it hangs around a bit longer. I really hope for the day when the smoking pops in to my head and makes me want it. Ugh!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Hannahkim12345      I hope you understand that you control whether you argue with yourself about smoking or think,"UGH" when the addiction starts to niggle your brain?  You need to  retrain your thought pattern as part of your quit journey.

Try saying, even out loud, "I don't DO that anymore" when those thoughts start in on you.  If you do it every time, it will start to come naturally!

It's all totally up to you - really it is.  And you CAN do it - you have done it for 20 days - and that is HUGE!

YAK YAK YAK YAK YAKKETY YAK. YAKKETY YAK YAK YAK YAK YAKKETY YAK! NOPE.

YAK YAK YAKKETY YAK

pastedImage_4.png

LeftysLady

Mike.n.Atlanta‌ I hope when you truly need help we can be much more merciful than this entry.

0 Kudos

I was only poking fun at myself in that I felt anything I might have said would have been redundant. It was only in humor & I certainly didn't intend to ruffle your sensibilities. If I did I apologize to you & any others who may have taken offense.

Mn@ 001.jpg

0 Kudos
LeftysLady

Suzinut, your back and you know what you did incorrectly.  I am on day 49 of my second quit on this sight.  Yesterday I read a great blog called #"No Mans Land" on here yesterday.  jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 BlogIt handles days 30-120. It really helped to explain what to expect and how to help yourself and how to get help when you need it. 

It wasn't easy to get back to the original 22 days after a lapse, but I am better for the lapse.  I came back here everyday some days I took the pledge some days I didn't.  The one simple thing I did do was to write out my DOF in long hand every time I signed my name to something i.e. 49 days 10 hours 26 minutes of freedom.  I chose to openly and publicly hang on to every minute because I wanted my quit to stick this time.  I am almost 56 years old and smoked for 46 years of my life.  I have tried to quit so many times I lost count, these two quits have lasted the longest and taught me more, because I was willing to come here and read if nothing else worked for the craving.

One moment at a time and you will Win your life back.

Pam 

49 DOF

tyndallgw

Suzinut, thank you very much for you honesty.  You may not realize it, but your admission really helps some of us.  You bring up very clearly how precarious our quits can be.  We must never ever take our quits for granted and never give in to our addiction!

0 Kudos
Giulia

LeftysLady  How interesting.  I took Mike's Mike.n.Atlanta  response 

"YAK YAK YAK YAK YAKKETY YAK. YAKKETY YAK YAK YAK YAK YAKKETY YAK! NOPE."

as that's the kind of chatter that goes on in our minds in the beginning.  "I want to smoke, I shouldn't smoke, I want to smoke, but I shouldn't, but I want to, but I mustn't, I could go get one right now, but that would ruin my quit...."  etc. etc., yakkety  yakety yak.  But at the end of the yankkety yak is the NOPE - not one puff ever.  THAT's the punctuation at the the end of our quit dialogue if we want to be smoke free for life.  I want I need I shouldn't I couldn't I can I won't NOPE.  I totally "get" where he's coming from.  Trust me - it was offered with humor and great wisdom as to this journey.  And love.  This man has a 15 year quit.  And he's been a steadfast supporter here.  You are new on this journey.  Our perception changes along the route.  And with our greater understanding of the people involved.  Trust me - if you ever needed a strong hand of support, this man would be here for you.  Go to his page and read his blogs.  

0 Kudos
LeftysLady

Mike.n.Atlanta

Giulia‌  

I

As Guilia pointed out I am new and had no idea you are an elder because there was no D.O.F. or in your case Y. O. F..

So instead of fun, I took it as someone who had become conceded with their quit.  I apologize.  Today was one of those days I needed to give my quit away in order to keep it so I was probably to sensitive.

Giulia

We are all raw in the beginning.  Welcome to the club!  Just out of curiosity - what do you mean by there was no Days of Freedom or Years of Freedom?  Most of us don't put that on the bottom of our responses.  Some do.  Like you do, Pam, and like troutnut did.  Which is great, it lets everybody know where you are on this journey.  One of the things I do when I want to find out more about a member is I click on their avatar, which takes me to their page.  There you can glean a whole lot of great information about them by reading their blogs.  (Sometimes, if you're LUCKY these days with this failing website) you can just hover over their name and it will show you their quit date.

You know, wisdom comes from newbies and elders alike.  But in my experience there is not one Elder here who has become conceited with their quit and bragged about it.  And when they have, they have lost it.  We are proud of our quits but never take them for granted, nor do we ever forget what the beginning was like.  Congrats on your 50 days!  And what a great idea to write out your days of freedom in long hand.  Makes them all that more precious.  Wonderful suggestion for others newly on the journey.