cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katherineu

NO MANS LAND

I never heard this expression until I was two months in of being smoke free when my online support group was telling me that my daily personal battles with staying nicotine free is called the No mans land.  Its not the greatest feeling nor is it the worse feeling, for me it is a depressing feeling.  I feel overwhelmed at the thought of smoking a cigarette but the craving isn't strong enough to motivate me to smoke.  About a month in to my smoke free life I made a choice to stop playing mind games and finding a reason to smoke just one cigarette because one cigarette isn't going to hurt anyone is it?

Lately I have been rather moody but some days I am just fine and dandy with life but on my bad days you better stay away because I have zero patience for anything and I don't know why because I have never experienced this type of moodiness until a few weeks ago. 

Tomorrow I will be ten weeks smoke free and I am so excited that I have made it this far and I owe it all to God.  The other times I have quit smoking it only lasted 1-2 weeks because I always found a reason to smoke just one cigarette.  This time around I realized I was not strong enough to do this on my own, and I had to and still do rely on God to get me through every day and thankfully I have this support group to post my stories and read your stories as well.

I want to personally thank everyone who has taken the time to read my postings and to leave feedback, it really does help me get through my worse days and on my good days I'm always on here sending love and positive feed back to others to stay strong because you can quit!

God Bless!

5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

10 weeks is AWESOME, but you still have a ways to go.  Patience is called for, on your part and on those around you.

Hang in there; it does get easier as more time passes - I promise!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Ten weeks is amazing and remember that you had bad days when you smoked too...you are really just more aware of them now.  There is a reason for the acronym N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever!  I know I lost quits in the past because I thought I could have one too...the truth is that we have to do this one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time.  I smoked for a very, very long time and have had lots of memories that I had to remake...lots of associations that I had to change.  I quit every time I was pregnant but smoking always made me really sick then so it wasn't like a "real" quit.  You really are doing well.  Please read the reference Dale sent you to, I read it and reread it during those first months.

Ellen

MarilynH

Please read Dale's link because like Ellen, I read it over and over again while I was in NML and it definitely helped get me through the rough patches along with blogging here and keeping my mind as well as my hands occupied, it's going to take some time but it's going to get easier keep moving forward and stacking up your precious smoke free days and yay for another day WON! katherineu

0 Kudos
Giulia

Ten weeks is fantastic!  Life is a moody place.  And sometimes we get buffeted.  But as long as you stay the course and keep your sails trim, you will get to Freedomland.  That place where you don't think about a cigarettes every day, nor long for one.  That place where you look back and think "how did I ever put one of those things in my mouth?!  That place where you're no longer uncomfortable in your own skin. and your new normal has nothing to do with trying to find a light.