cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 9/20/2017

Most people, who have quit smoking, have had at least one unsuccessful try in the past. It is not important how many times you try to quit. The only important thing is, that eventually you stay quit!

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Question: Thanks to Giulia for this week’s topic question!  Building on our knock know jokes from last week....

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Me

Why are you here?

To stay free

And just how are you going to attend to that?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!)

roller831

julesakaGG

TW517

Christophina

Brianairb2

constanceclum

josnyder72

Free2BU

bookee6

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Dani_2017 

Ready2021

Diannnnn

gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

Tags (1)
18 Replies
Roller831

That is great!  I can't wait to hear how the meet up went!

Giulia

Your own private reunion!   I love it and can't WAIT to hear.  And you'd better post some pictures, even if it's only of your toes!

bookee6

Hi all 133 DOF and still loving every minute of being a non smoker.  It still has it challenges but nothing to make me fail.

Wishing everyone a wonderful smoke free day!!!

Hugs to all

Robin Ann 

TurboRose

Hello All!  There was a time I couldn't imagine my life without cigarettes and it's been 81 days without one. WOW, I've come a long way.

Roller831

I am checking in at 92 DOF and I can taste the triple digit club.  I am strong in my quit right now.  So...how I tend to keeping my quit strong and happy is by knowing this quit is precious and it can be lost in a split second if I let it get to me.  It may sound complicated to some, but to me it is very simple.  (KISS - Keep it simple stupid).  I don't do that anymore.  Our of everything I ever read, including Alan Carr multiple times in those first few weeks, I don't do that anymore resonated with me.  

Smoking is not something I do and that makes it "not an option" (SINAO) no matter what (NMW).  I am very aware of triggers in general and that a trigger could put me at risk.  KNOWING I could be at risk lessens the risk because I will not act on the trigger NO MATTER WHAT!

I do not want to go all the way back to Day ONE.  As the DOF pile up, I am happy I have so many behind me and want to get more behind me!  This is an inner dialogue I have with myself, but it isn't all consuming.  It is just a passing thought these days.  Coming to the site almost daily and just touching base has been a life line.  Seeing newer people struggle in those first few days helps me realize I don't want to go back to that.  EVER.  Seeing someone relapse makes me sad but also makes me realize I don't want to ever be in that position.  I just don't do that anymore.....

I send greetings to all of the travelers on this journey.

I am sending this from the depths of the desert. The Sheik and I are combing the sands to roust out any of Ol' Nic's demons laying in wait for the travelers.

I maintain as always, one day at a time. Never become complacent in your quit. Nic can, and will, attack you at any time.

Be safe and always remember ....

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry the Caravan Master

Roller831

Thank you for stopping by Caravan Master, Elder, and wise one!  

tlajbenn

Good morning everyone and happy Saturday. Better late than never.

It's been a crazy week at work, extremely busy. I have put in over 50 hours this week, still have a few more hours to put in this weekend, and then another long 50 hour week next week. I will finally get some time off after that - thank goodness! 

I am still early I NML, 66 days today. I knew I had these 2 long weeks coming so I prepared myself and planned for urges knowing I would be stressed and tired. So far, so good. More fleeting thoughts related to routine than urges to smoke. 

So...How am I going to stay free?

I remember why I quit. I will not go through day one ever again! I recognize my triggers and prepare in case urges hit. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.  I know smoking is not an option for me so what else can I do.  I know that smoking will not help me through my stress or make me feel relaxed or take away my troubles. What it would do is cause me more stress, make me more anxious, and make me feel bad about myself. 

maryfreecig

Good medcine that you are posting. Thank you.