cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 10/18/2017

We have this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic: Dealing with Stress

For so many years or even decades, we associated smoking with stress relief. In times of stress your brain is going to gravitate toward what it knows. That’s not something you can change in just a couple of months. So plan ahead – when a major stress hits you, how will you deflect the urge to smoke? What will you say to yourself, what action will you take, to drive away the sudden and powerful belief your brain will have, seemingly out of nowhere, that a cigarette would be helpful?  PRACTICE it now, so you’re prepared when it happens!

Stress -> smoking thought -> acknowledge -> dismiss

“Yes I acknowledge that part of me thinks I want a cigarette. But, I know this is just my addiction attacking me in a weak moment. So there’s no point in dwelling on this thought. Instead, I’m going to turn my attention back toward resolving this stressful situation.”

Quitting smoking is a skill, and like any other skill, it takes practice. As you progress through No Man’s Land, you will put all of your new skills to work! 

(Taken from an old NML Blog Weekly post by SarahP)

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...  

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!)

roller831

julesakaGG

Christophina

Brianairb2

constanceclum

Free2BU

bookee6

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Dani_2017 

Ready2021

Diannnnn

ahhshucks

Showiestodin

Sandy-9-17-17

judalb

@Gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

@Tw5152017 – GRADUATED!!!

Tags (2)
7 Replies
tlajbenn

Good morning. Stress affects everyone and all in different ways. It was the number one reason I smoked and continued to smoke even though I wanted to quit for years. I would tell myself: It is too stressful now to quit. It isn't the right time because I have this and that going on. It gives me a reason to step away from the situation. So when I was ready to quit I knew I had to find some alternative way to deal with stress. I did some research on relaxation techniques and came across this great article. It is designed for teens but I found very useful. Also, since I turned to cigarettes as a teen instead of learning these coping mechanism, I thought it was a good place to start. 

Here is a link to the article: Teen Health - Health Topics - Stress - learning to relax 

The thing I liked best about it was it didn't tell you what to do but had you think about what would work best for you. I find the deep breathing and medication work great when I feel overwhelmed. Exercise helps calm me by allowing me to release the extra tension and changes my focus. Reading lets me escape. Yoga combines the deep breathing and exercise elements and helps center my mind. I also like to journal my feelings - no punctuation or grammar required - rant, rave, and vent! Everyone should find what works best for them. If you don't know, try something and keep trying until you find what does work. 

Roller831

Thanks, tlajbenn‌!  I feel similarly to you and needed to find new ways to deal with stress in my life vs. turning to sickarettes.  Glad you found alternative ways that work for you!

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Yay.....I made it to NML!  I don't know whether to be scared or excited!  But I do know that this NML I have

read about is so true! 

I have just begun those whispers going off in my brain....and that alone is stressing me a little bit!

I might even have to pledge more than once daily to protect my quit!  But whatever it takes, RIGHT?????

Right!!!!

I have come to far to give up now!  N.O.P.E. 

Roller831

Sandy-9-17-17‌ Be vigilant!  Sometimes this is just one minute or second at a time.  Read about NML.  Read old blogs and search NML and NML Caravan.  I have seen a few relapse in NML and it makes my heart hurt.  You can do this!  Welcome welcome welcome!  NML isn't all bad...my time has been pretty good! 

TurboRose

My life became stressful around the time I entered NML. As much as I try to prepare, I never know what course of action I'll actually take when a moment arrives. Hopefully, I will remember I made it through this period without nicotine.  As long as I'm patient, challenging thoughts and urges eventually fade.  I have the support of this community to call on should I find myself on the edge.

TurboRose (Michele) 110 DOF

Roller831

I know I have said this on more than one occasion, but awareness is key and that is what can get you through this period!  You are doing great, Michele TurboRose‌ and we are always here for you!

0 Kudos
Roller831

I'm sorry I have been a little more absent in the community lately.  This is a busy time for me at work (every quarter) and I needed to focus my attention there.  I have 100% absolutely turned to exercise to deal with stress.  I like to lift weights and box so I am able to release stress in those ways.  I also tell myself cigarettes and nicotine do not reduce stress at all!  It does nothing for me other than stress me out more because I don't do that anymore!  LOL!