cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 10/11/2017

We have this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic - The Forever Quit - Right now you have committed to quit smoking, but have you committed to never smoke again?

As you near the end of No Man’s Land (day 130 or so), it’s time to start thinking about what comes next. It’s time to start making plans and commitments about your long-term quit maintenance.

No one wakes up one morning and says “gee, I think I’ll relapse today.” No one in month 3 of a strong quit thinks their motivation will ever fade. But we hear from people all the time who relapsed after a year, 2 years, 5 years, or even longer.

I believe the root of long-term relapse is forgetting two very important lessons -- first, we forget that 
we cannot have just one, because for addicts like us, one always leads to one more. Second, we forget that we did not enjoy smoking. We smoked to avoid the pain of not smoking. We smoked to stop withdrawal. It wasn’t enjoyable, it didn’t taste good, and it wasn’t relaxing – those are the lies of addiction.

We learned these lessons painfully – with sweat and tears – when we quit. But as time passes it becomes easier and easier to forget, to minimize, to rationalize.

Right now you have committed to quit smoking, but have you committed to 
never smoke again? Two years from now when you get really bad news, or are at the beach watching the sunset and the smoker next to you says “want one?” – What will you do? Will you remember the pain of quitting?  Will you remember the lessons you learned? Will you remember how to distract/dismiss/kick it to the curb? Will NOPE (not one puff ever) or SINAO (smoking is not an option) still be in your heart?

Plan it. Practice it. Be ready for it. The lessons you are learning right now, in No Man’s Land, are the lessons you need to carry with you and never take for granted. The Forever Quit is within your reach!

(Taken from an old NML Blog Weekly post by SarahP)

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!)

roller831

julesakaGG

Christophina

Brianairb2

constanceclum

Free2BU

bookee6

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Dani_2017 

Ready2021

Diannnnn

ahhshucks

Showiestodin

gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

TW517 – GRADUATED!!!

Tags (2)
33 Replies
Free2BU

Hi All I have not checked in in a while, as I have been super busy.  I am now 94 days quit, and I do have my moments, but most of all I feel I am done.  I really don't think I will slip up again.

I have however put on a bit of weight, but I have also started gym with a personal trainer.  The personal Trainer is now so affordable considering I have save close on R4500 to date.  The personal trainer is R220 per session.  This is a huge draw card to go to gym, cause you have booked and paid and therefore you don't want to disappoint or not attend.  Once in the gym, I am unstoppable and super keen to work off the weight I have gained.  We are going into Summer here so need to be somewhat decent.  

All the above determination has helped to keep my mind active and body healthy in order to get through the day ahead and count the days behind.

I hope everyone else is on a similar mission in life.

Keep on keeping on

Carolinex

Roller831

So glad to hear you are doing well!  I am in a similar position where I also put on weight and hired a personal trainer!  I hope you are done and don't slip.  We've had a couple of NMLers slip during my time in NML and I sometimes think it is when we feel "done" or too confident is the time we are at risk for slipping so please be careful.

You are almost in the TDC (triple digit club)!  How exciting!

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

Great job keep up the good work...You are so awesome to hire a trainer!! That is commitment!! xo

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

I am learning to navigate on the new site...I am new to IT I should say...I left a comment on your August 11th blog!!!

TW517

Good discussion topic.  I have just recently started to feel like not smoking is my new normal.  I’m super relieved, but hesitant to celebrate.  I’m only 5 months free so far.  I have a previous quit of 11 months.  I do have hope though. 

I joined EX 4 weeks into my quit.  I was having an overwhelming crave that would have sent me straight to the cigarette store on all my previous quits.  For some reason, this time I stopped, and decided to try and find help first.  I had never done that before.  I’m pretty sure I would do that again in the future if I get a strong crave out of the blue.

So I’m pretty confident I am protected against craves.  But my last relapse wasn’t crave related at all.  I was at a family gathering the day before a funeral.  We were sitting around sharing stories, laughing, crying, etc.  Several people were smokers, and I just reached over to a pack on the table, pulled one out and started smoking like it was the most natural thing in the world.  I wasn’t craving at all.  I just did it.  Within a week, I was smoking almost a pack a day again.

However, back then, I didn’t know anything about nicotine addiction, and I didn’t have a support mechanism of any kind.  As you said, now I know I cannot have just one.  And staying close to this site helps me remember that I didn’t enjoy smoking at all!  Plus, this quit has been so much harder for me, I really don’t want to start over again.  So I’m not overly confident, but I am as they say, cautiously optimistic.

Roller831

TW517‌ I think you hit it on the head!  Not being overly confident and being cautiously optimistic makes you AWARE.  If you are AWARE, then you are less at risk (note I didn't say you are not at risk) to pick up again.  Keep NOPE in your head.  Thank you for checking in with us!  It's great to have graduates and Elders stop and play in NML!

YoungAtHeart

The feeling of complacency during NML time is why we decided here to keep a light shining on it.  Those around you think you should be over it already.  A random, intense, seemingly never-ending crave might get you to think you just can't DO this anymore because it feels like it is going to be never ending.  We noticed a LOT of quits being lost during this time.  Probably my worst day during my journey (besides the first couple of weeks) was on day 108.  If I had not come to this site and asked for help, I really believe I would have failed.

Glad you are continuing the tradition, roller831.

And - all in this part of the journey, remember to blog with a subject of HELP if you get too uncomfortable.  Then - wait for someone to talk you off the ledge!

Nancy

Roller831

Thank you YoungAtHeart‌ Nancy!  I haven't had such strong or intense craves, but have had passing thoughts come at me out of the blue...mostly at times when I used to have a smoke.  I am glad to have this site and the support.  Education is key.  If we know we can get caught during this time and are aware of it, it can help fend it off in my opinion.  I appreciate your insight and will absolutely remember to put HELP in the title if I need it.

joyeuxencore

Well hello Nancy! I came by the NML blog to see whats shaking with some new folks...I remember it well and am glad to see the tradition lives on! xo

0 Kudos