cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Wednesday Weekly Check In – 8/2/2017

Good habits are just as addictive as bad habits. But much more rewarding!!!

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions: Are you in No Man's Land? How long did you smoke? Use nicotine?  List 3 things that are better now that you have quit!

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

Tags (1)
21 Replies
Christophina

Firstly, I would like to thank you roller831 for taking on the NML discussion with so much vim and vigor. It's comforting to know that I don't need to get through the scary desolate spots alone.

Secondly, would someone tell me where to find the playground that gregp136 talked about. I think my inner child is hanging out there.

I would like to find her. I miss her.

75 days quit. So trudging through NML with gritted teeth.

I smoked heavily for 22 years. Gave up smoking with nicotine gum. Gave up gum with pregnancy.

Didn't smoke for 20 plus years.

Started smoking AND chewing nicotine gum six years ago. Idiot.

Three things that are better:

the way I feel about myself, smelling freshly showered without a layer of fresh cigarette smoke and hopefully showing my adult children that it's possible to kick an addiction. I mean hopefully they notice my good example. I am not hopeful that I stay quit. I am certain that this is my forever quit.....thanks to this site and all my newfound friends.

I am spending the money I save on gym membership and cultivating some good exercise related habits there.

I get fleeting feelings of lightheartedness but I crave more.

Diannnnn

Congrats on 75! That is awesome!

Hmmm, getting back your inner child. Does anyone have a kid or two you can take to a park or splash pad? I use my nephews as an excuse to play on the jungle gyms. The stuff they have nowadays is so cool! Same with the splash pads, even though running through the sprinkler is still fun too. I don't believe I could do any of this without having them along. I'm pretty sure the neighborhood would be concerned if I was playing at the park by myself.

Just some thoughts. I am fortunate to have my buddies to help me play. Quitting smoking have me more time to do that!

Roller831

Your welcome Christophina‌.  I don't want to go at it alone either so I am doing this for selfish reasons!  LOL!  I've been catching myself these past couple of days...I find myself in situations where I used to have a smoke, look to pick up a pack, and then catch myself and say I don't do that anymore (Thanks JonesCarpeDiem‌).  I can see why this NML can get some people.  I am determined NOT to let that happen!

TW517

OK, I wasn’t going to check in here again so soon.  I already checked in yesterday, and have made several comments since.  If I’m not careful Diannnnn  will think I’m enjoying being in NML just like she is .

But then I realized this is my day 80!  If my math is correct, that means I am exactly half way through NML!  That’s worth celebrating!  Yay me!

Hope everyone has a great smoke-free day!

Tom (80 DOF)

(Did I mention 80 days?  Oh yeah, I guess I did.  Yay me again!)

Roller831

You better get your arse over to the Freedom Train to celebrate today!!!  AWESOME on 80 days!!!!  That is fantastic!!!  Go Tom!

Brianairb2

Are you in No Man's Land? Day #39

How long did you smoke / use Nicotine?  counting from when I first started:  29 years (wow I'm getting...older)  

List 3 things that are better now that you have quit!  1.  Eating habits (I'm acknowledging my appetite for food more than my appetite for cigarettes)...2.  exercising more (which I always enjoyed, but now I have more will (and time) to do it...3.  I just feel happier to not have the guilt swarming around all the time, that I need to quit...tomorrow...tomorrow...okay, then tomorrow...I am feeling happier, even on the days when I feel a little lost.  That's my 3, but all of them equal to being able to breathe better....and breath is life!

Showiestodin

Hello everyone. I am on day 25 of freedom. I am embarking upon NML. I am so happy I came across this post. Thank you rollercoaster831  for hosting this amazing NML CheckIn. 

I am on day 25.
I smoked for 34 years.

3 things better now that I have quit:

1. Breathing - Lung capacity has improved.

2. Food tastes better.

3. I can smell again.

Have a wonderful, beautiful, glorious day

Cathy

Roller831

How is everyone this fine Monday morning!

Roller 47 DOF

Christophina

Feeling fine thanks Roller on a cloudy dull day in England. Yes, feeling so much better than the first few weeks. I have been doing breathing exercises to ease feelings of acute anxiety. Ok so I dont do the full recommended 15 minutes morning and night but a couple of minutes every now and again seems to help. I did my first aqua aerobics class at the Leisure Zone this morning. Great fun.

Little by little feelings of wellbeing are becoming part of my day again.

I shall go for a nice long walk with my dog this afternoon. 

How are you?

And how is everyone else?

Christine 79 DOF@

TW517

I had some fairly bad craves Saturday and Sunday.  Seem to be over it now.  And it had been a while since my last craves, so I'm feeling more confident every day!  How are you Roller?

Tom 84 DOF