cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML / In-Betweener Weekly Check In – 12/27/2017

Wow.  In a blink of an eye, a week has passed!  I thought with the missed In-betweener check in this past Monday (I'm Sorry!) I thought I would combine this week's check in.  It seems like the NMLers and the In-betweeners are posting on both threads anyway.  The more the merrier!

This will be the first New Year's Eve for us in this group smoke-free and what a great way to start off 2018!!!  We won't have to break that resolution of quitting smoking since we are already there!  Now THAT is certainly something to celebrate!

We have this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit.  Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us!  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic: Goals for the New Year

I am not a believer in resolutions.  In fact, I am so anti-resolution that on Dec. 31 of each year, I list out my accomplishments and back date them   Seriously...if you are one of millions who makes resolutions and ends up breaking them the second week of January or by February then stop making them!  Make goals instead!

What is it about the New Year that everyone is motivated to make massive changes, only to give up come February 1st?

I'm not a fan of New Years Resolutions, but I am a fan of a sound approach to goal setting. 

While most New Years Resolutions never work (97% of the time, they actually don't!) it's not the Resolution that's the problem- it's your approach. That I can promise you.

What are some of your goals in 2018?

ENJOY the journey through NML! 

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! (Courtesy of @sarahP)

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

25 Replies
TW517

Hi Cathy!  Missed you!  Hope you stop by more often.

Showiestodin

Hi Tim! Great to see you are still here. 
Thank you. I intend to stop by more often. I intend to post again as well. 

Again, so good to talk to you. Take care.

Sincerely,

Cathy

119 DOF

Gma_Bernie

Thank you for hosting this forum. I am just beginning my second month and feel especially vulnerable because I haven't replaced anything for smoking. I am pretty surly and spend a lot of time in bed still. I have issues with chronic pain but need to get to the Y and strengthen my quads and continue with my yoga. I just can't seem to find the energy to do it. But the longer I wait the harder it's going to get. There's this great transformation going on in my body after smoking for 48 years. Everything from my stomach to my skin, it cetera. I'm not sleeping well at night and wake up way too early most mornings. Because my stomach hurts. It just got too small over the years smoking instead of eating. I'm grossly underweight. So I need to slowly expand my stomach and enjoy eating more. It's a slow process. So many things changing all at once. It's hard. I'm expected to pull my weight around here in the house and sometimes I just don't want to. Everybody says do more things that make you happy. Kind of hard to do when you're raising two teenagers that our grandchildren and your husband is 71 years old and you are 63 almost 64. It's enough just keeping up deleting emails and processing paper mail. I want to get all my files in order. I want to redo all my passwords on a sheet of paper that doesn't have a bunch of crossed-out things on it. I can't keep track of it all anymore. Anybody relate?

Bernie

elvan

Gma_Bernie‌ I can absolutely relate...except for the teenager thing...DAMN...I could not do that.  I certainly get the chronic pain, I was also really underweight when I quit smoking, not so any more...I am not OVER weight, I am just where I really should be.  This really is a journey...I use my stationary bike 5 days a week and do ten miles plus I lift little weights and use the front of the bike as an arm bike to strengthen my upper body.  I think coming here is the best therapy for my quit of anything.

Sleep well, I work tomorrow so I HAVE to.

Ellen

Gma_Bernie

Hi Ellen. I finally made it to the Y. It was just a matter of looking up the schedule and getting my coat on and getting in the car. That is the hardest part. Once you're there it's easy. I did the stationary bike for 30 minutes followed by yoga class for 1 hour. Then 2 Days Later I did the stationary bike for 15 minutes followed by a total Stretch Class. My goal is to keep going every other day. I can't help but get stronger. I just have to keep the goal in mind. And to be very careful that I eat enough food. I can now say with confidence that I'm going on two months smoke free. I am more and more confident everyday that I will never smoke again. If nothing else I would have no self respect left and that would destroy me. It's more than just stopping smoking. It's building up confidence that you are worth something. That you do have a life and that you do have things that interest and excite you. I have children and grandchildren and my husband. I have a dog that forces me to get out and walk him everyday. I have a house to keep up and dinner to make and my knitting when I get around to it. If nothing else interests me, there's always Netflix or Father Brown on PBS. Hahaha. Happy middle of January. Don't let that flu bug get you. I heard it's really bad. I only had a short version of diarrhea for a few days. The real flu causes fever, excruciating sore throat and headache and stuffy head. And sometimes vomiting and stomach upset. So far knock on wood I have not come to I have not contracted it.

0 Kudos
elvan

Bernie, good to hear from you Gma_Bernie‌. I  am really glad you are exercising...I do ten miles on my stationary bike, five days a week and I also do some upper body strengthening working out.  I am absolutely committed to my quit, I would never be able to justify smoking again. That self esteem thing comes up the more time you spend smoke free.  It makes you feel like you are a very capable person because you ARE.  There is nothing worth smoking over because smoking changes nothing...except to cause our bodies to deteriorate faster. It doesn't fix anything, despite what the addiction tries to tell us.  One day at a time, one hour at a time, one step at a time...and baby steps DO count...just keep going forward.

I am doing my best to avoid the flu...if people who have it would stay home, it would be helpful.  I can't walk around wearing a mask and latex gloves everywhere I go but I certainly can wash my hands even more than usual and my more than usual is pretty ridiculous.  

Ellen

0 Kudos