cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

leigh-ann

My last cigarette

I am about to go outside and smoke my last cigarette. I'm anxious for it, and I'm also nervous about what I'm getting myself into. I know this is going to be extremely difficult, but I'm feeling positive for the most part right now. I need to remember this positivity tomorrow when it starts to get to me.

After I go smoke, I'm going to take a long, hot shower. I bought some sweet smelling lotion to use afterward, I'm hoping I begin to associate that scent with being smoke-free and not smelling like a stale ashtray.

I've loaded up on lollipops, gum, and hard candies also.

It's been an interesting journey, this relationship with cigarettes. We've had some good times, but those good times aren't enough to keep me coming back anymore. This relationship is holding me back from experiencing all the good that life has to offer. It's simply time for me to move on.

I am done. Wish me luck.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
diordna

Hi Leigh Ann,
Welcome to the club. I also thought it is going to be difficult. But it became evident that it is much easier than people tell about it. After smoking almost for 20 years, I gave up first go! Only thing yu have to control yourself for two or three days. After that things become much easier. Good luck and keep yourself busy with something that is really engaging.
Best of luck
0 Kudos

Yep, Good luck. Staying busy is your best bet. Also, when you get a craving, as soon as you hear that nasty "I need a smoke" in the back of your mind, just change your thought. Immediately start thinking about your car payment or your favorite tv show. And It does get substantially easier after the first few days. Just remember, if you have a relapse, just pick yourself up, dust off your pants, and just keep plugging away.
0 Kudos
anne7

Hi Leigh Ann,
Good for you. I walk every day which helps me stay away from cigs. While I walk, I think of each of the people on this site who have made up their minds to stop the madness. As a 2 pack a day smoker for 40 years and a commited couch potato, I've made some big changes. I'm 2 weeks into this and though I still want to smoke I feel good about myself for the first time in years. I'm pulling for you-just remember you're part of a bigger and more supportive community than you know.
Go for it!!
0 Kudos
susan64

I wish you all the luck, I smoked my last cigarette on March 31th, and I feel great. I don't cough like I use to. I did smoke for 35 years. I guess it was just my time to quit. Cigarettes started to taste really bad to me. Just think of the money you will save. I have a jar and put $8.00 a day in it ( that's how much my cigarettes cost).
0 Kudos
melissa9

Hey! It is hard but it can be done. Like Diordna said find things to keep you busy for the first few days. I went camping with my family. It was relaxing . True there wasn't a lot for me to do cause the hubby takes over when we are camping but I found things to do. I took my art stuff so I worked on that and did whatever else I could find to do.My hubby started picking at me and said I was actting like a child cause I couldn't sit still.
0 Kudos
cali

Keep on trying. I used to smoke crack but now I only smoke meth and I am trying to quit smoking cigarettes. What should I do so that I don't smoke crack again?
0 Kudos
lissdiz

Hi Leigh Ann:
I smoked my last cigarette on Monday at 5:00 PM. I'm not telling you it's easy, but it can be done. I smoked for 17 years and I'm on my 3rd full day without any cigarettes or nicotine products. I know I still have a long way to go, but it's not easy. I am determoned that this time I will do it. You can do it too. I got me some carrots and well when I get the urge it keeps me busy. All I can tell you is to be strong, try your best to hang in there and not break. take day by day and before you know it, it could be a year. My dad tought me that, he quit 2 yeras ago after 35 years of smoking and he is still smoke free. Good luck.
Liss
Hollywood, FL
0 Kudos
lissdiz

Hi Leigh Ann:
I made it through my 5th day today. I actually was at a CVS and looked at the boxes of cigarettes and the thought of buying a pack did no cross my mind. I instead have candy, sugar free gum and carrots. Trust me I already feel the difference in me. I realized today when I stood next to a smoker how much you breally smell like an ashtray. I felt good about the step I've taken. As I mentioned before, this is not my 1st time trying but this time I feel the need as well as the want to quit. I've been taking it one day at a time, please do the same, do not put all that preasure on yourself. Do it one day at a time and if you brake, there is always tomorrow to try again. Hang in there girl, I know you can do it.
0 Kudos
leigh-ann

That's awesome!! You can smell a lot more now, right? I'm noticing that in myself, along with my sense of taste is coming back. I took a bike ride Wednesday, and didn't feel winded at all afterwards. It's an awesome feeling!

I still think of smoking, but it's just not worth it to me. One day at a time is definitely the way to go.

And congrats on day five!!! You can do this!! Don't EVER doubt your decision!
0 Kudos