cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brian2day

My addict's memory---a telling story

Here's an unbelievable tale. I had quit for 8 years after the birth of my son, and about 4 years into this great period of my life, I read an article somewhere that said if you were a non-smoker, and had to have a long flight over many times zones, if you smoked just one cigarette when you landed it would help you adjust to the time zone change. Remember this is 4 years into an 8 year quit period. Well, little did I know at the time of reading this that the addict (smoker) in me had filed this away, deep in my conciousness. 4 years passed, and I had to go to Russia to do a film shoot, and was told to stop in Germany on the way and pick up several cartons of Marlboros to use as barter to get people to help me out in tricky filming situations. I remember being in the duty free shop in Hamburg on my way to Moscow and remembering that article from 4 years passed----and when I landed I lit up, the just one, and was on my way to becoming a full blown smoker again in a few days.
0 Kudos
22 Replies
missy8

That is crazy...i've never heard of that before. It's amazing what the mind can do. Just proves that we fight the addiction for the rest of our lives, not just a few months or a few years...
0 Kudos
miniracer

Very, very bizarre! You sure snookered yourself, didn't you. I guess the addict mind can rationalize anything.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

sucker born every minute.....

u did it before so you know what needs to be done....right?

u can do it and hopefully u have learned from the last time
0 Kudos
manofsteele

sucker born every minute.....

u did it before so you know what needs to be done....right?

u can do it and hopefully u have learned from the last time
0 Kudos
jen-x

Photobucket
0 Kudos
angel2

Danggggg, thank you!!!!!
0 Kudos
jennie3

Wow!
0 Kudos
aloha-lady

Just ONE will always lead to relapse... heck so will just one puff. Please try to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF the next time you quit. Your body and your family will thank you for it.
0 Kudos
edith2

That happened to me too. I had quit for 19 months and I got really upset one day and I was thinking of drinking or smoking. I smoked one cigarette and that's all she wrote. It was like I had never quit. I didn't have to catch up either. It's like they say, one is too many and 1,000 is never enough. In my opinion I feel the same way about smoking pot. Those who say they don't smoke and smoke pot are lying to themselves and others. It's like changing seats on the Titantic.
0 Kudos