cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

babyimaboo

My First Post!!!!! / The infertil smoker

Hello ppl,

Tonight is my first night of membership and after reviewing this site, I have received access to loads of information, and also making me more aware of the torment I'm putting my body thru by smoking. I apologize for this being as long as it is but I believe that I am not the only one dealing with the side of effects of smoking and also being infertile.

I am 28 yrs young, and single and I haven't set a quit date, at least as of yet. Being single and smoking, soooo has its drags when it comes to the dating game. I have been a smoker for the last 5 years. Prior to those 5 yrs, I had quit smoking for a year and a half, cold turkey and never even had the mind to try to quit then. 

In the span of the last ten years I feel as tho I should have conceived a child going in and out of the relationships that I have been in. Just to note: I'm not necessarily looking to have a child, but during my last few visits for my yearly appointment, my doc ask if I'm considering quitting smoking and my answer would remain no. Then she would follow by asking me if I'm thinking of having any children. My last two visits I have said yes. Truth be told I'm not ready, but there are concerns when it come to when I do decide to try and the times I've tried, unsuccessfully.

Symptoms are present with me of polycystic ovary syndrome, but not yet diagnosed. If this is the case, smoking has become a combined inhibitor along with this condition for me conceiving a child.

Reality is here.........  My current option right now is to be on BC, but once again smoking plays a factor in this also. Four years back I had begun BC, about a month is to taking the meds I experienced one of the side effects in my left leg, which was a throbbing, heating sensation behind the bend of my right knee. If you know anything about smoking and BC are that they do cause an increase chance of blood clots. At that point in time I reframed from taking BC and continued smoking.

Needing to quit soon and I guess I'm looking so see if there are any other like me.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
moonchild

Hi, I am quitting smoking for a very similar reason. I am ready to start a family, & have had to prior MC's, with every test  done on me to see why (2 different partners, so it's not them). So I know it's the smoking. Each time I conceived, I just thought I'd stop when I found out, but a fertilty specialst told me to definately quit prior to trying, & I have to say, at the same time, my body is physically telling me in many ways it's tired of me poisoning it. I am just SO done!

That blood-clot symptom you got is your body telling you just how these cigs are definately affecting you as well. These little poisonous white sticks have had such control over us for so long, I think we can definately win the battle finally with support from this wonderful site!

And who the hell wants to smell like this anymore anyway? The whole thing is such a trap, I am actually mad at "it" like it's a person! LOL! The cigs become precious to us, like they are some great gift, but no...a healthy body is a great gift, & cigs destroy it.

Now, I may need you to remind me of all of this tomorrow when I'm pulling my hair out b/c it's my quit date! LOL!

0 Kudos
babyimaboo

I’d honestly have to thank you for replying. I never hear anyone talk about these type of complications and having to dealing with issues of quitting smoking to increase chances for fertility or either stop because of the side effects of smoking along with other medications.

I’m sooooooo sick and tired of the smoker smell and cost of buying them. The worst part is smoking when you don’t even feel like smoking and you’re just doing it because your in the habit of doing it. This madness has got to quit. LOL. I pray to goodness everything goes well when my quit date come around. Wish me luck!

0 Kudos
flydragon30

I agree with both of you. My husband and I are struggling with fertility. He is a "social smoker" and can take it or leave it. I am an everyday (about 10 a day) smoker. I used to enjoy it, but I agree with you when you say that I am tired of the stink!!! I was on Chantix for a month and did well, but because of the cost could not renew the prescription. When I quit, my husband was more "loving" meaning he wanted to kiss and hold me more because I didn't stink! It is such a stigma, when you smoke. The looks people give you are terrible and I am ready to give it up, but need help!! Good luck to both of you with the quitting and conceiving.....

0 Kudos