cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

More health issues

I got a phone call from my doctors' office today. After 3 separate blood tests the nurse called and said my thyroid level is too low (hypo-thyroid).  I had a half of it removed 10 years ago and it's always been fine. Maybe it's just because I'm over 50 now. They called in some drugs and I'll go get them tomorrow. I needed more medical issues like a hole in my head.  At least this one should be easily controlled.  The only thing that bugs me is that the addition of the thyroid medicine will bring my daily total of prescriptions up to 13. That doesn't include the OTC pro-biotic or the vitamins I take. Could be worse.  Although it was a little upsetting when they called I never even considered having a cigarette. The thought didn't even cross my mind!  I just feel like Mr. Potato Head. My mistake, there is a Mrs.Potato Head too.  The pieces have come off and someone tries to put me together but somehow I still ended up with an arm where an eye should be. 

Julie 30 DOF

31 Replies
elvan

minihorses‌ Both of my daughters have hypothyroidism...caused by a virus called Hashimoto's.  My youngest has been on medication since she was 14 and she is now 28, she is on the same dose.  My older daughter's medication has required adjustments over and over again.  My granddaughter was also just diagnosed and my mother, my brother, and my sister all had it.  My brother had his thyroid removed because they could not regulate his levels.  He swears that he feels much better now.  MY thyroid is fine, it never tests high or low which is kind of weird.  I think it is a matter of getting things under control and then KEEPING them that way.  When your medication is too high or too low, it produces symptoms.  I am sorry you are going through all of this but I am REALLY happy that you don't smoke and add insult to injury for your poor body.

XOXO,

Ellen

0 Kudos
minihorses

Me too. Although today has been iffy at times I'm still fighting the good fight.  When I had to have half of my thyroid removed the doctor's said I shouldn't have to end up on medication but I was 10 years younger then. The body changes over time. It's hell getting older. My brain is 21 and the body is over 50. I'd like to have them meet somewhere in the middle!

Julie  52 DoF

0 Kudos
elvan

minihorses‌ My brother had Hashimoto's and they kept raising his dose over and over again but there was no effect so they told him that it had to go.  He started taking some Iodine Drops that he gets from Amazon and he says that he adjusted the dose himself and that he feels great now.  He also strictly follows a gluten free diet.

Hey, at least your MIND is 21...I think my mind and my body are  BOTH getting pretty old.  I KNOW my poor body has HAD it.  I have the worst sciatica I have ever had in my life, it is hard to get my leg to go forward and this afternoon, they BOTH decided to pretty much throw in the towel.  

What a day...must admit, I am glad it is pretty much over.

Ellen

0 Kudos
minihorses

Ellen,

I have total brain farts a lot so it's not as young as I'd like to think.  Don't stop me in the middle of a sentence because I will totally forget what I was saying and even if I'm not interrupted I'll forget what I was talking about. I go to rooms in the house and then forget why or what I went there to get. 

I can't believe you are STILL working with all your health problems.  I'm pretty sure I know why but you need to take care of you!  You are so giving, it's time to receive!  Please accept these hugs and prayers for a less painful, glorious new day. 

Julie

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I actually read a study that found that our brain resets when we leave a room and go into another....so EVERYBODY forgets what they are going to get/do in another room.

Hope it makes you feel better - it did me!

(and I just realized that when I'm typing -as opposed to speaking - I NEVER lose my train of thought. Interesting, huh?)

Nancy

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ REALLY...you have to go into another room?  All I have to do is turn around and not even all the way!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I don't have to do either. I'll forget what I was talking about mid-sentence!

Sandy-9-17-17

minihorses‌  Oh My Gosh!  That's me too, and then I try so hard to remember what it was I forgot I was talking about!  

Makes me crazy when it happens! 

Mandolinrain

HA....that explains it.....our new house has an extremely open floor plan. I don't seem to be as forgetful as I was in last house, lol.

elvan

minihorses‌ I work for two reasons...I NEED the people and the interaction with them and I need the little paycheck...it's just SOMETHING.  I would have been a GREAT bartender...hahahaha.

0 Kudos