cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

More health issues

I got a phone call from my doctors' office today. After 3 separate blood tests the nurse called and said my thyroid level is too low (hypo-thyroid).  I had a half of it removed 10 years ago and it's always been fine. Maybe it's just because I'm over 50 now. They called in some drugs and I'll go get them tomorrow. I needed more medical issues like a hole in my head.  At least this one should be easily controlled.  The only thing that bugs me is that the addition of the thyroid medicine will bring my daily total of prescriptions up to 13. That doesn't include the OTC pro-biotic or the vitamins I take. Could be worse.  Although it was a little upsetting when they called I never even considered having a cigarette. The thought didn't even cross my mind!  I just feel like Mr. Potato Head. My mistake, there is a Mrs.Potato Head too.  The pieces have come off and someone tries to put me together but somehow I still ended up with an arm where an eye should be. 

Julie 30 DOF

31 Replies
minihorses

That is exactly what I thought about why you work.  I read people pretty well even through messages.  I can tell what a strong, caring, giving, and resilient person you are.  I pray for you daily and I send love and hugs in my prayers.  

Julie

elvan

Thank you minihorses‌, 25 years as an RN left me with a huge hole when I had to stop working because of how fast my RA was progressing.  Fortunately, my younger kids were little and then my oldest daughter had a baby and I had little ones to care for and celebrate,  I NEED people and I cannot imagine my life without spending time with others. I pray for you as well.

Blessings,

Ellen

0 Kudos
minihorses

I took it as soon as I woke up this morning.  I had to clean the cappuccino machine and implements of construction which took about 20 minutes. It takes 5 minutes or so to make the perfect wake up device and then deconstruct the machine and dishes.  So it was at least 30 minutes. I'll make sure I keep track of the time from here out to let it reach its' full potential. 

Daniela2016

Very good, if we need to take that many drugs (I hate taking them too, but when you have HBP, Diabetes, Gastric Reflux, and Hashimoto's you take what you need to take to prevent complications), let's get the full benefit!

There is one thing I can do to limit or decrease the number of pills, and honestly I have all intentions to make it right in the very near future, is to really lose weight! 

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Oh gosh Julie, Im sorry your going through this. You must feel like a human pin cushion.

Your in my thoughts and prayers

Sandy-9-17-17

You all are making me feel pretty blessed right now!  I just started taking one medicine for Gastric Reflux....this started just since I quit smoking!  I assume because I now eat more than when I smoked.  We'll see what being a non smoker brings health wise!  I just got another cold since quitting, 2nd one now!  This one I'm finding it hard to take deep breaths!  Thank God I am not smoking!  

0 Kudos
minihorses

Yep the reflux might be from more food but I had it bad as well.  A few days of prilosec helped and I still take it when I need to.  I think it's just a bad cold and flu season this year.  My whole family is sick, even my oldest son who NEVER gets colds; noses, fevers, hard time breathing, coughing. I had it for a short time and lost my voice for a few days but I'm feeling better at least.  I just get tired quicker than usual. Hang in there, eat chicken noodle soup and relax. Hope you feel better soon.  You'll be in my prayers.

Julie  

0 Kudos
Posamari

Interesting to read about the thyroid issue.

Last year , November 2016 , my thyroid levels were normal. I quit smoking end of October 2016. A month earlier from my blood tests.

Fast forward 1 year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last month, this past November 2017.

Any correlation between the 2?

Hmmmm.........

0 Kudos
minihorses

From what I've read (I love to research stuff) smokers have a higher risk for hypothyroidism than non-smokers.  Stopping smoking lowers the risk. But I also found that crazy people like me,  although I'm categorized, certified, sanctified crazy bipolar, have a higher risk of hypothyroidism.  Maybe we're all just getting older?

Julie

Daniela2016

Well, I did a lot of research too, and crazy as it might sound, it seems as Nicotine has some anti-inflammatory and decreases the auto-immune activity (by decreasing the level of immune response of the body).  So Hashimoto's made a little more sense to me, since it reared its ugly head about 9 months into my quit. However, no benefits of the Nicotine will ever overweigh the benefits of quitting smoking.  We all know too well what that does to our bodies