cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lg_3

Moms

Day four and feeling good. I LOVE not trying to sneak away from the kids. I don't rush through the bedtime story anymore so I can get another smoke in. No more sneaking around the side of the house. Children learn by example. Why would I expect them to not become addicts when I am SO addicted?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
212 Replies
liz11

Hello, my name is Liz and I have been fighting cigs for 3 months now. I have set a new quit date (July 13, 2009), and I know this is going to come fast, so I thought I would need all the support I could possibly get. This is my first time at EX and I look forward to being supportive and being supported.
0 Kudos
christy6

I have quit one time when I was preggers with my daughter, it lasted for 13 months, but I didnt quit because I truely wanted too, it was for her. You have to quit for yourself as well as your kids or it makes the road longer and tougher. I quit smoking 2 days ago! This time I have armed myself with the Nicotine gum for the really bad cravings to take the edge off. It's the hardest thing I have ever done. I don't care what I have to do I will do it in order to never touch another nasty cigarette again.
0 Kudos
christy6

Just checking in to say hello,
0 Kudos
christine24

I am 38 years old and have been a smoker for 25 years. I quit two times when I was pregnant, but started up again shortly after my kids were born. I thought I could just have the occassional cigarette and be ok. I have been smoking the Quest Step 2 cigarettes for the last several years. There is far less nicotine in them than the normal cigarettes. Actually, if I try to smoke a normal cigarette now, it makes me sick, so it gives me some comfort knowing that. I only smoke about 5 cigarettes a day and never smoke around my kids, however, my 5 year old son caught me sneaking one yesterday and said "Mom! you do that!". I was devastated. I didn't know what to say. All I could say was "No, mommy doesn't do that", but he caught me, so now I'm lieing to my son. I decided that was it. There is no way I want to be put in that position again and try to explain myself. My quit date is set for June 26 and I decided to use the Nicoderm Patch. I am starting with step 2, which is probably more nicotine than what I was getting from smoking the Quest Step 2 cigarettes I currently smoke, but I'll do whatever it takes to succeed. I am going on vacation in 2 weeks with family members that do not know I started smoking again and I want to be completely smoke free so I can relax and enjoy myself and my family. I scared and nervous, but I'm ready. Wish me luck!
0 Kudos
claudia-gatti

Well, I made it through an entire day without a cigarette. The last time I did that by choice was around 1978. One day at a time, one minute at a time. Just keep doing it and refuse to give in.
0 Kudos
dolly

I know about a half of an unsmoked cigarette hiding in my house and I came really close to finding some dumb rationalle for smoking it today! I somehow managed not to!! Today is day3! I've started and stopped so many times this year, if I slip up again I think I'll feel really defeated. So glad I've stayed with clean air. 3 days and I guess my lung function has already improved quite a bit! It actually feels like it!
0 Kudos
krista3

I don't normally do this-you know blog and all, but I am struggling. I have 4 children and I am a nurse-I should know not to smoke but I do. I started on the med Chantix and I am extremely irritable. Only smoked 4 cigarettes though today and I used to smoke a pack a day. Have been on the med for a week. I hope to make it to my stop date of 7/8 on the med though cuz it seems to be working, but the irritability is making me crazy. All I do is yell at everyone. Any help out there??
0 Kudos
dolly

Happy 4th all!! I'll have one week free of cigs late tonight! I went the cold turkey route and found it much less irritating (i.e. I was less irritable) than when I tried using the patch. For me, I found that a little more frustrating, and a little confounded that I was still on the nicotine. I quit one other time cold turkey for 2 years...I have a pretty good feeling I'm DONE for hopefully forever this time. I now understand that stress is a lousy excuse and ultimately, smoking only adds to the stress. I've heard a lot of good common sense on this site and am thrilled to have the support! Thanks everyone!!
0 Kudos
tamara2

Tomorrow is my quit date. My youngest son will be 18 months old. I plan to use the gum. Would love encouragement from some other mothers!
0 Kudos
dolly

Try to get a sence of enjoyment when each craving passes. Like you are taking blows at the bad old addiction monster who likes to tell lies and makes you want to hurt yourself. 😉
0 Kudos